Talk

Advanced search

chimineas - anyone got one?

(9 Posts)
BigGobMum Thu 06-Aug-09 19:54:46

For various reasons I do not like patio heaters but I have a fancy for a chiminea. Has anyone got one and use it regularly or is it something that gets used only once or twice then forgotten about? Also I have seen both cast iron and clay ones but dont know which is best. (I am hoping to pick one up end of season at a garden centre!)

Doozle Thu 06-Aug-09 21:22:00

I haven't but would quite like one. Have you seen any good deals on them?

lambanana Thu 06-Aug-09 21:45:36

I have a ceramic one that we got in taskers about 7 years ago.

It's ace on a summers night. We buy the tempered logs from asda - only 99p!

Don't burn ordinary wood though because it really stinks and gives off acrid smoke.

I think tescos are doing them for about £30 at the moment.

We keep our outside all year round but have a waterproof cover for it when its not in use.

BigGobMum Thu 06-Aug-09 22:39:15

Doozle I havent compared many prices (although have looked on Ebay) but will check out Tesco (thanks Lamb).

WobblyPig Thu 06-Aug-09 22:44:15

I have one. Good for burning stuff but I find that if you sit near it your in a furnace and if you far enough away to avoid the intense heat you don't feel the benefit.

Doozle Fri 07-Aug-09 09:02:28

So you can't burn normal firewood in them? What do you burn Wobblypig? I must admit, got a bit carried away last night reading you can cook pizza on them!

WobblyPig Sat 08-Aug-09 21:03:22

Yes you can burn wood , sticks, dry garden stuff. Some people buy pot to stick on top and cook stuff. I haven't used it like that.

Doozle Mon 10-Aug-09 10:42:57

Thanks Wobbly

Doozle Mon 10-Aug-09 12:12:03

Ps. DH just emailed to say he's ordered one! You can cook it on like a bbq I think.

http://www.castironchimineas.co.uk/The%20Calico%20Chiminea.htm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now