Talk

Advanced search

Butternut squash please...

(14 Posts)
mrsmerryweather Thu 23-Jul-09 08:03:36

are growing well...but no flowers yet. I planted them late- can't say exactly when- so should I expect flowers any time soon?

I have been feeding them- I read you have to feed them every 2 weeks- but is that only AFTER the fruits have appeared- and is this why I have masses of leaves and no flowers yet?

missingtheaction Thu 23-Jul-09 08:32:35

Could easily be. They ought to be flowering by now but if they went in late and missed the hot spell earlier on then they will be slow to get going.

If they are in a pot then they won't need food until 6-8 weeks after planting at the earliest.

If they are in the ground then I don't feed at all. I certainly would leave it until there were some fruit on. If they think life is too easy they won't bother fruiting.

Personally I do find they produce loads of leaf per fruit so you need several to get a reasonable crop. but this bloke here obviously takes it much more seriously than me!

mrsmerryweather Thu 23-Jul-09 08:52:36

They are in a raised bed on a south facing patio- so it's warm and sunny.

I planted them about 6 weeks ago- raised in small pots inside, then planted out.

They have spread about 2.5-3 feet across- so I live in hope of some flowers soon!

missingtheaction Sat 25-Jul-09 19:10:46

just checked mine - has three long tendrils each about 6-10 feet long! several squash developing now.

mrsmerryweather Fri 31-Jul-09 15:57:02

ust to let you know they are flowering like mad now- if they fruit well I will be in business! Fingers crossed!

SixtyFootDoll Fri 31-Jul-09 16:05:08

Mine are just leaves....

snorkle Fri 31-Jul-09 16:19:22

It's been my best year for squashes so far. Previously I've only managed avocado sized fruits (max 2 per plant), but this year I have 4 fruit on my butternut. The two 2 largest (small melon sized) have changed colour to that light brown they go to. In the past I've always harvested them at this point. Is that the right thing to do?

mrsmerryweather Sat 01-Aug-09 14:38:50

Don't know- I am a butternut virgin- but i think you have to wait til autumn and let them grow- are you feeding them? They say one a fortnight once they have fruited.

sarah293 Sat 01-Aug-09 14:43:28

Message withdrawn

snorkle Sat 01-Aug-09 15:40:57

I don't feed mine eithe, although now you've reminded me I might if I remember.

SixtyFootDoll Sat 01-Aug-09 15:59:15

on a plus side my sweetcorn is doing good

Hassled Sat 01-Aug-09 16:02:26

I have 3 current flowers, and one squash from an earlier flower that seems to have peaked at about a handspan length - it hasn't grown in about a week, I'm sure of it. How big is a squash meant to be? Have I got some dud miniature version? When do I know when to harvest?

Sorry for the hijack!

mrsmerryweather Sun 02-Aug-09 07:59:40

well, in the supermarket I buy squash that are up to 12 inches long and about 8 inches diameter, I guess!

You do have to feed all squash, including pumpkins and butternut.

Bettymum Mon 03-Aug-09 11:27:10

I've just started to get baby squash forming on my plants . The plants are HUGE! I haven't fed them much but I did dig loads of manure in when I planted them. I've given them a couple of doses of tomato feed, but that's it. I think if I fed them they'd take over the world.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now