Talk

Advanced search

Tips to make garden look wider

(137 Posts)
LIZS Wed 22-Jul-09 17:31:42

We have someone working on part of our garden , clearing years of weeds and dead tree stumps. As he is working his way down it looks wider. Area is approximately 120' long by 30'max width. Bearing in mind it is a fairly blank canvas apart from the odd shrub and we already have a functional garden nearer the house with patio and grass, separated by a fence at the moment from the area beign worked on, are there any tips to visually try and make it seem wider. Is it worth segmenting the new part so that, say, the bottom third is a play area designated in a different ground finish to rest. Not sure if curves of path/beds/features would be better than straight lines across iyswim

ButterbeerAndLemon Wed 22-Jul-09 17:34:54

IIRC, yes, curving in an S-shape makes it look bigger.

spookycharlotte121 is just finishing a landscape design degree, but I haven't seen her around today

springlamb Wed 22-Jul-09 17:53:51

We put a curving sort of lazy-S shape flower bed in and the effect was instant.

This year I am reducing mowing areas, so have built myself a patio 5 slabs wide along one side of the garden and to me (and family) it seems wider, but I wouldn't swear to this effect. (Also it was damn hard work, took me weeks, but it does look good and I am down to less than 15 minutes mowing a fortnight!)

Maybe try one of those websites where you can work on a 'model' - put different areas in. Sorry I can't think of one, maybe search 'garden planning'.

ShellingPeas Thu 23-Jul-09 14:22:24

Designing on a diagonal makes a long thin garden look wider - either with sweeping curves, or with geometric beds.

The BBC website has a virtual garden here which might help your design work.

The other thing you can do is divide the garden up into sections or 'rooms' so that you don't see all the length of the garden at once. You can do with screens such as trellis, or planting.

LIZS Thu 23-Jul-09 14:31:18

Thansk for those tips, funnily the top section already has a vague sweep to it so that gives me some idea and I'll give the bbc one a go.

Washersaurus Thu 23-Jul-09 14:34:36

Blurring the boundaries helps too, e.g. painting fences green, planting trees & shrubs etc. We have a very long and very narrow garden; breaking it up into sections (as someone already suggested) has really helped make it feel bigger.

BitOfFun Thu 23-Jul-09 22:47:40

Maybe get a very skinny statue?

Sycamoretreeisvile Thu 23-Jul-09 22:49:05

Hazing can be successful in cases like these.

But make sure you use shrubs that stagger themselves naturally. It also helps to rake through the bark mulch in a kind of laissez faire manner (is that right?).

RumourOfAHurricane Thu 23-Jul-09 22:49:34

Message withdrawn

RumourOfAHurricane Thu 23-Jul-09 22:50:30

Message withdrawn

laidtolawn Thu 23-Jul-09 22:50:34

I like the hazing idea Syc...

jetcat32 Thu 23-Jul-09 22:51:10

BitOfFun, my friend has something very similar in her garden, well she has three!! They are right at the back of a very long garden, and at first glance, they really do make the garden look wider!

I notice the OP says her garden already has a vague sweep - i would place the statues up there.

laidtolawn Thu 23-Jul-09 22:51:37

big words there shiney... conducive!

Sycamoretreeisvile Thu 23-Jul-09 22:52:02

I'm not being funny Diamond but do you actually even have a garden?

J shape is not active. It's entirely dormant through most of the summer planting months.

If you HAD a garden you would KNOW that.

RumourOfAHurricane Thu 23-Jul-09 22:52:04

Message withdrawn

RumourOfAHurricane Thu 23-Jul-09 22:53:27

Message withdrawn

bellavita Thu 23-Jul-09 22:54:08

Some lovely ideas here girls smile

Sycamoretreeisvile Thu 23-Jul-09 22:54:17

<<rolls eyes>>

You're fingers are so not green they are like, RED or something.

Go google Percy Thrower then maybe you'll be able to contribute something constructive.

RumourOfAHurricane Thu 23-Jul-09 22:54:42

Message withdrawn

bellavita Thu 23-Jul-09 22:55:14

Syc.. that was uncalled for! Shiney is just trying her best grin

VelvetCushions Thu 23-Jul-09 22:55:23

3 tiered segmented areas with a diagonal feature across each area will work. Perhaps, a diagonal (or J shaped as per Shineon's suggestion) in the first segment, a floral in the second and some childrens play strcture in the 3rd.

RumourOfAHurricane Thu 23-Jul-09 22:55:50

Message withdrawn

leaningtoweroflaundry Thu 23-Jul-09 22:56:25

naaa like shineys idea. change the letter according to the man of the monthgrin

bellavita Thu 23-Jul-09 22:56:44

bringing about?

RumourOfAHurricane Thu 23-Jul-09 22:56:55

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now