Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone have a medlar? What do you think of it?

(5 Posts)
broguemum Tue 21-Jul-09 08:33:24

It's just I kind of fancy one for the front garden to replace a really scraggly and smelly Sorbus. Does anyone have a medlar tree? Are they easy to maintain? What's the growth rate like? Are they attractive (I've seen pictures but RL is different IYSWIM)? Do they smell nice when in flower?

TIA

GentleOtter Tue 21-Jul-09 08:43:31

medlar They take about 4-5 years to fruit after they have been planted and need a fairly moist soil.
There is a medlar tree growing in Ceres in Fife and I think it is a beautiful tree due to it's unusual fruit.
We have quince trees (Cydonia oblonga) which are related but we want to grow medlars too.

broguemum Tue 21-Jul-09 18:43:20

Thanks for that GentleOtter. Have you ever eaten a medlar? Quince trees are beautiful aren't they? We don't have one but there is one in a garden just along the way and the fruit are wonderful. My quince chutney was vile though

funnypeculiar Tue 21-Jul-09 18:49:22

My uncle used to have a couple of huge ones - I was only little, so not much into discussing it's maintence, but I do remember them as very beautiful.
<not much help>

broguemum Tue 21-Jul-09 19:01:17

Ah! Did you eat any of the fruit?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now