Talk

Advanced search

My garden is out of control but I don't want to start hacking at it willy-nilly. Can anyone help?

(14 Posts)
RealityIsGettingMarried Mon 20-Jul-09 08:09:32

Message withdrawn

RealityIsGettingMarried Mon 20-Jul-09 08:10:33

Message withdrawn

daisydotandgertie Mon 20-Jul-09 08:19:42

Yes - you can get rid of the crappy pond; clear it up and fill it in.

I'm with your Mum I'm afraid - now isn't the best time to hard prune shrubs, they're busy making flowers and leaves and may well die look shocking next year if you prune them now.

You can thin out the poppies anytime you like - just pull up or dig out any you think are unnecessary. If you hate the yellow flowering plant, pull it up. Ivy is the same. Cut it off and pull it up. If you don't want it to come back, dig up the roots.

The lavender should be left alone until it's finished flowering - you can take off the flowers and the flower stems though.

I know you're fed up with it, but the best advice is to wait with the shrubs. You can gentley trim them at any time - but hacking at should be left for when they're inactive (autumn, winter ish - depends on the shrub).

The fuschia can be cut right back to 3 or 4 inches above the ground - and will re-sprout. It'll look quite ugly until it does though. We did it with ours in March and they're just looking OK now.

Oooh. That got a bit long. Sorry.

GentleOtter Mon 20-Jul-09 08:21:03

The pond sounds a bit done so it would be a good place to start.

Wait until the flowering shrubs and plants have passed their best then tidy them up. Honeysuckle, ivy and fuschia will all take a hard pruning and ought to grow with vigour next year.

Do a small bit whenever you can rather than despairing at the big area and it will soon start to take shape. It sounds lovely though!

RealityIsGettingMarried Mon 20-Jul-09 08:26:14

Message withdrawn

GentleOtter Mon 20-Jul-09 08:32:36

The hostas might do well in the hole that the pond made....
Sorry, I get all overexcited about garden renovations even although it is my proper job. grin

RealityIsGettingMarried Mon 20-Jul-09 08:38:45

Message withdrawn

ABetaDad Mon 20-Jul-09 08:44:36

Reality - I agree with your Mum. Wait until Autumn then start to do some good hard pruning back. She will be happy to advise then I am sure.

I don't like ponds where children are concerned. I would fill it in if you have very young children or if it just basically looks a mess. Perhaps if you fil th epon in with stones and build it up into a hard slightly raised platform you could put a seat where the pond is?

In the Autumn also you may want to get a tree surgeon in to cut and shape the trees if they are overhanging to allow much more light inot your garden. That alone wil make a big difference and allow you to think about reshaping borders, new plantings and and improving the quality of your lawn.

RealityIsGettingMarried Mon 20-Jul-09 08:52:57

Message withdrawn

GentleOtter Mon 20-Jul-09 08:53:40

I agree with ABetaDad about the pond but it would look lovely if it was filled in (if it is not deep) and stuffed with hostas then a heavy mulch of slate chips. This keeps the slugs from them too.

Hostas are easy to dig up but some of the well established ones can have big fat roots but will thrive if split. (Slice them down the middle with a spade or half-moon lawn edger)

I grow mine in big pots and they seem to do very well in them.

Would your Mum and sister come armed with secateurs and hacking tools in late autumn? You get a better idea of the garden's framework then rather than when it is all in full bloom.

GooseyLoosey Mon 20-Jul-09 08:53:49

Honesty should have finished flowering now and grows like a weed anyway - can't see any reason why you can't have at that now. Likewise Honeysuckle - it is at the end of its flowering season and responds well to a good hack - if it is growing as a climber, I would hack back all but about half a dozen stems and train those properly. I hate ivy so would get rid of that without a second thought. Chop down the big Yellow thing you don't like - if you don't like it in flower, that's as good as it gets. When the roses have finished, I would prune them back hard - if your mum is a good gardener, ask her how far back they can be pruned.

GentleOtter Mon 20-Jul-09 08:55:56

Roses - prune by 1/3rd in autumn and 2/3rds in spring.

daisydotandgertie Mon 20-Jul-09 09:05:18

Hostas in the pond is a good idea - they will dig up quite easily, their roots are quite shallow.

Try not to move them while they're in full sun though - this evening would be better. If you have to move them in sun, make sure you put loads of water on them afterwards.

RealityIsGettingMarried Mon 20-Jul-09 12:14:48

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now