Talk

Advanced search

What can I do with apples that I have to pick now!

(8 Posts)
Mercedes Sun 19-Jul-09 19:50:32

We've just got back home to find our apple tree has been half uprooted;. Its half in the ground half supported by the washing line. There's loads of apples on the trees which are tipping it even more over. Quite a lot of the branches and fruit are touching the grass. I've got a huge basket of apples collected and the same again on the tree - they taste tart tart tart. I know its way too early to pick. What can I do with them? Can I store them and keep making v. tart apple crumble?
Its our best harvest for years - I'm so annoyed.

Hassled Sun 19-Jul-09 19:54:54

My great aunt used to wrap apples individually in newspaper and then store them flat (i.e. not on top of each other) in boxes in the loft. They seemed to live for ever.

Failing that, could you peel and cook the lot with a load of sugar and freeze in batches?

Mercedes Sun 19-Jul-09 19:58:34

Do you know long can I keep frozen apples?

pscc Sun 19-Jul-09 19:59:00

my (old) neighbour puts them in a box infront of his houses with a 'free organic apples' sign and passers by help themselves- school up the road; so think it mostly kids that take them

twoluvlykids Sun 19-Jul-09 20:01:25

cook them into a puree and freeze in batches.

apple sauce with roast pork.....yum

sad about the tree, though, can it be rescued?

Mercedes Mon 20-Jul-09 16:24:47

I'm not sure if the tree cn be rescued - we may have to get someone in. The only problem with the puree - is it looks like 6 months supply.

Can you make a tart apple marmalade or does that disgusting? Will there be enough sugar to make it?

gingernutlover Tue 21-Jul-09 17:56:40

you can freeze raw apples

i peel, core and slice mine and stick them in freezer bags for apple crumbles, sauces, pies, jams etc

i've definatly kept them a couple of months

gingernutlover Tue 21-Jul-09 17:57:25

oh they are tart - well just add sugae when cooking them

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now