Talk

Advanced search

Rasberries and Red Currants! Strawberries!

(7 Posts)
QuintessentialShadow Sun 12-Jul-09 00:17:33

I have just planted two little red currant bushes, and two little rasberry bushes.

I also have 8 strawberry plants.

<pleased with self emoticon>

I am planning to add 4 more rasberry, and 4 more redcurrant bushes next year.

Any one else?

Loshad Sun 12-Jul-09 00:25:22

go for the raspberries Qs, if you get autumn bliss as well as the more usual varieties you get rasps from end june to the first frosts. The strawbs need the most care and attention i find (potting on runners and all the stuff). that might be too many redcurrants tbh - we only have 1 bush but it's huge and very prolific.

QuintessentialShadow Sun 12-Jul-09 00:37:53

I was just thinking I should go and buy 3 more rasberry bushes tomorrow... grin Love them.

My parents have 9 redcurrant bushes, they are nearly 40 years old, so very big and with a great yield! They also have 3 black currant bushes, and rhubarb.

The variety here is called Vene.

Ops, boy awake!

TubOfLardWithInferiorRange Mon 13-Jul-09 14:31:43

Both of these plants will produce additional plants all by themselves. If you have the room consider a blackberry bush, They take awhile to bear fruit but are well worth it, IMO.

QuintessentialShadow Mon 13-Jul-09 15:50:44

I would love a blackberry bush! grin The climate across the polar circle will not allow it, alas...

TubOfLardWithInferiorRange Mon 13-Jul-09 16:18:07

Hmm, I would think if strawberries and raspberries thrive that a blackberry would as well; however, they do take much longer to bear fruit so if you have a v short season then I guess you are, indeed, out of blackberries. sad

Loshad Mon 13-Jul-09 22:18:46

sorry forgot you weren't in UK, would still go for an autumn fruiting raspberry as well as your standard one.
The other thing I have i imported from germany so might be ok - it's a cross between a gooseberry and a blackcurrant, very hardy and tasty. might be worth seeing if you can find one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now