Talk

Advanced search

I want plump pumpkins!

(9 Posts)
jooseyfruit Wed 08-Jul-09 18:17:41

What should I feed them when if they fruit?
TIA

HolyGuacamole Wed 08-Jul-09 21:08:21

Bump

GentleOtter Wed 08-Jul-09 21:13:43

how to grow fat pumpkins

jooseyfruit Thu 09-Jul-09 07:58:32

That's great otter thanks.

But what type of food?
They're in gro bags, would tomato food do?

weegiemum Thu 09-Jul-09 08:03:17

We fed our toamto food last year - they did great until the day that dd2 (then 4) brought them in to let me see how big they were getting!

Aaaaaaarrrgh!

GentleOtter Thu 09-Jul-09 08:21:25

I use either Vitax or Nutri (by Westland) for my cucmbers and squash. We are not growing pumkins and I am envy of yours. Ask what they recommend at the local garden centre but a low nitrogen, high potash feed would work well.

They need masses of water and plenty of rich soil to grow in - are you growing them in the gro bad flat or on it's end ?

jooseyfruit Thu 09-Jul-09 12:56:50

Thanks weeglemum I think i'll use tomato food. Lol about your eager, green fingered dd grin

otter my grow bag is flat but with just 1 plant in it. You're going to tell me it should be on it's end aren't you!grin

Bumperslucious Mon 13-Jul-09 22:01:09

Oooh, I have a pumpkin question, do you have to sacrifice some of the fruit to get big'uns?

jooseyfruit Wed 15-Jul-09 08:45:34

bumpers have a look at gentleotters link below, it may have the answer
I would have thought that once you have actual fruit on you could pick the smallest one off. I read something about allowing 3 sets of flowers & then pinching the top out so it doesn't grow anymore IYSWIM!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now