Talk

Advanced search

I would just like to share my potato joy with you all!

(8 Posts)
TheChilliMoose Tue 07-Jul-09 17:17:49

I planted potatoes in a large container. It was the first time I had ever tried growing them. There were lovely big green leaves until about a month ago, when the leaves started going yellow and dying off from the bottom. We went away for a week and came back yesterday to find all the plants were dead and brown and flopped all over the place.
But we had a dig around anyway and then tipped the container over to find hundreds of gorgeous looking spuds. I am so proud grin

bubblagirl Tue 07-Jul-09 17:30:26

well done thats when you know there ready to pick once the plants die off we do ours in pots on patio

sarah293 Tue 07-Jul-09 17:31:54

Message withdrawn

bubblagirl Tue 07-Jul-09 17:37:27

riven yummy we have just grown our own lettuce too and spinach all from my little pots lol and my tomatoes we have shared garden so have lots of pots instead and all does really well for us

TheChilliMoose Tue 07-Jul-09 18:03:24

Thanks, bubblagirl. I thought we had to wait until they flowered so I am very pleased.

maggiethecat Mon 13-Jul-09 22:37:32

That's helpful - ours had flowered and we waited for another 2 weeks then dug one bag and were disappointed with the yield - small and few. however they were delicioussss! We've left the other bags untouched and the leaves still look quite healthy so perhaps we should just wait until they die off for a better yield?

Jux Mon 13-Jul-09 22:58:21

Brilliant! I share your joy. We have been eating our own lettuce for 3 weeks now. It's so exciting!

(And those things I thought were weeds growing too close to the lettuces, are apparently spuds too!)grin

veggiegirl Sun 19-Jul-09 10:56:33

yes, I have been told by a veteran that you must wait until the potato plants look dead before digging up, I'm waiting for mine as they are still green and nice can't wait for lovely maris pipers and baking ones which we have grown this year...will try in a container next year though as they take up so much room. We put them in the ground as they are great cleaner plants and that bit of ground wasn't great...

If you want to hear more and some expert advice from another mum:

Have a look here:

Http://www.mumsgrowyourownorganicvegetables.com

It's great resource and ongoing support.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now