Talk

Advanced search

Sunflower challenge!!!

(18 Posts)
Meglet Sun 05-Jul-09 20:57:34

Who has sunflowers and how tall are they at the moment? Keep reporting back so we can see who has the tallest by the end of the summer!

My tallest is currently 5ft exactly, plus 3 other 4ft sunflowers. They are well staked but I'm hoping we don't get any strong winds in the next few weeks.

wuglet Sun 05-Jul-09 20:59:44

We have 6.

Tallest is about 6 inches!! blush

(only got planted out last month)

Meglet Sun 05-Jul-09 21:05:22

6 inches is promising, they grow fast. I planted mine at the start of april so they've had a head start.

I usually forget to plant mine until it's quite late in the spring, then the slugs eat them all. We've had a good year so far <<touches wood>>,

OhYouBadBadKitten Sun 05-Jul-09 21:08:16

We are rubbish, we do have one 3 footer, the rest are about a foot. But I have never actually had one survive to flower.

BananaFruitBat Sun 05-Jul-09 21:14:43

1'1" and 3'8".

hmm

Meglet Sun 05-Jul-09 21:42:33

wow, mine are the tallest so far shock. I haven't used any fertiliser on them, but we have good soil, the land used to be part of a nursery decades ago.

BananaFruitBat Sun 05-Jul-09 21:46:03

In my defence (Your Honour) ours are in pots so their height will probably be a bit restricted! That's my excuse anyway.

Our last sunflower had 5 flower heads on it. Apparently that isn't normal, so I'm hoping for another mutant again this year.

Meglet Sun 05-Jul-09 21:51:43

yes, mine are in the soil so they have lots of room to grow.

There will also be a 'prize' for best mutant sunflower and the biggest flower.

Meglet Thu 09-Jul-09 21:44:54

update... my tallest is about 5ft 4" now. And the wind hasn't blown it over, but it has 3 canes supporting it.

FluffyDavis Sat 18-Jul-09 17:22:08

our tallest is about 8 foot! and it's in a small pot. (smug)grin

FluffyDavis Sat 18-Jul-09 17:28:51

ooh just seen how old this tread is.
How tall are yours now?

nymphadora Sat 18-Jul-09 17:38:09

We have one with 2 heads, thought that was strange before I reaad about 5 heads !

Meglet Tue 04-Aug-09 16:25:03

I nearly forgot this thread!

We measured them last week and the tallest was 8ft 6", but it has clearly grown since them. The flower is just starting to bloom so I don't think it will get much taller.

Meglet Tue 04-Aug-09 16:25:40

I nearly forgot this thread!

We measured them last week and the tallest was 8ft 6", but it has clearly grown since them. The flower is just starting to bloom so I don't think it will get much taller.

Meglet Tue 04-Aug-09 16:26:01

oops.

DD has grown a sunflower that has 6 heads/flowers!! Is that very unusual as I've never seen one before? It has one main flower, then a bit lower down there are 5 other heads branching off the main trunk/stalk. Its the only sunflower like that out of about 8 we've grown.

Ah, just read BFB's post about her 5 headed one!

Meglet Sat 08-Aug-09 21:19:19

pic of my tallest sunflower on my profile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now