Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Is this garden very high maintenance? How could we make it less so?

(24 Posts)
scaredofthegarden Fri 03-Jul-09 14:09:54

Toying with buying this house but garedn whilst beautiful is putting us off. worried it will take all of our spare time. Have to make a decision today since someone else has put in an offer (but we are in a better buying position so estate agent has come back to us first). Is it very high maintenance?

scaredofthegarden Fri 03-Jul-09 14:10:44

would help if I added the link

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-25655153.html?locationIdentifier=REGION%5E1019&maxBed rooms=4&minPrice=700000&maxPrice=800000&pageNumber=1&backToListURL=%2Fproperty-for-sale%2Ffind.html% 3FsearchType%3DSALE%26locationIdentifier%3DREGION%255E1019%26radius%3D0.0%26displayPropertyType%3D%2 6minBedrooms%3D%26maxBedrooms%3D4%26minPrice%3D700000%26maxPrice%3D800000%26maxDaysSinceAdded%3D%26r etirement%3D%26partBuyPartRent%3Dfalse%26_includeSSTC%3Don%26sortByPriceDescending%3D%26primaryDispl ayPropertyType%3D%26secondaryDisplayPropertyType%3D%26oldDisplayPropertyType%3D%26oldPrimaryDisplayP ropertyType%3D%26oldSecondaryDisplayPropertyType%3D%26newHome%3D%26auction%3Dfalse%26x%3D59%26y%3D16

Worzsel Fri 03-Jul-09 14:12:25

I don't know but it's looooverly !

envy envy envy

scaredofthegarden Fri 03-Jul-09 14:15:11

God I'm so crap. Does anyone know how I remove that since it has all my personal details on it!

Lilyloo Fri 03-Jul-09 14:15:35

It looks a lot of shrubbery/trees which i imagine should more or less look after themselves other than routine cut back.

I agree it is lovely.

Lilyloo Fri 03-Jul-09 14:16:37

It doesn't have your details on

scaredofthegarden Fri 03-Jul-09 14:17:06

That's the problem though Worzsel, worried it wouldn't stay lovely for long with our lack of gardening skills!

Portofino Fri 03-Jul-09 14:19:39

If you let me come and live there with you, I'LL look after the garden! The lawn will take some mowing!

ABetaDad Fri 03-Jul-09 14:19:46

It is certainly something to think about when buyng a house. A garden can be a wonderful thing if you have time and inclination but just a chore if you don't.

The garden in that house looks quite low maintenece though with grass and srubs. You could have a twice a year contract gardner to come and do pruning/hedging if you wanted and then get a ride on mower for the lawn.

Nice house.

scaredofthegarden Fri 03-Jul-09 14:20:08

Oh phew. Must only bring up my details when it recognises my computer!

I thought that about the shrubs but DH isn't convinced.

Merrylegs Fri 03-Jul-09 14:20:27

Any big garden is a tie. This one doesn't look as bad as some because it is mostly green. There are no flower beds to weed, deadheading to be done, as far as I can see?

I think it will be more of a 'tidying' job to keep those hedges neat and the trees topped off (which you could get someone in to do anyway wrt the trees.)

You will need to keep on top of the lawn because if that starts to go patchy it will change the whole look of the garden and will look horrid. But regular cutting and a yearly feed should be OK.

Lovely house!

Lilyloo Fri 03-Jul-09 14:21:32

Speak to the vendors they should give you an idea of maintenance

Bramshott Fri 03-Jul-09 14:25:27

Doesn't look too bad at all to me. Shrubs are much easier than flower borders.

scaredofthegarden Fri 03-Jul-09 14:29:03

Its been empty for 18 months. Didn't sell because it was dump but has now been done up and price reduced. The vendors have never lived there so can't really give us an idea of maintenance. I think they've just gone in and straightened it up.

Its a nice house and its in a very good location but its been done up cheaply and a lot of what has been done to sell it we would want to change. This has added to our hesitation in putting in an offer.

We do however have a tractor mower already since we had a large garden in our last house but that was literally all lawn and so wasn't too bad to keep on top of.

I'm more of a sitting in the garden with a glass of wine type rather than a do the garden type but if shrubs really are low maintenance then maybe its worth going for it.

Aaagh - hate having to make these decisions!

scaredofthegarden Fri 03-Jul-09 14:42:03

One of the trees is dead. Its taller than the house. Will it cost a fortune to remove it?

titchy Fri 03-Jul-09 14:43:05

Looks lovely - am very envy!

If you're used to a large lawn then the only extra you have are hte shrubs which as others have said won't take up that much time at all. Maybe spend one afternoon every three weeks in the spring and summer ttrimming them. Or get someone round once a month to do it.

Not high maintnance at all. Go for it!

cissycharlton Fri 03-Jul-09 14:48:12

The grass will take a while to cut but otherwise I would say it is a low maintenance garden.

Sidge Fri 03-Jul-09 14:53:26

Get a gardener. We pay £20 a fortnight for someone to mow the lawn, weed, hoe, keep the shrubs trimmed and generally keep things tidy.

(Our garden is nowhere near as big as that one though).

Worth every penny to me as I am also a sit-in-the-garden-and-admire-it person rather than wanting to spend my spare time doing it...

GrungeBlobPrimpants Fri 03-Jul-09 14:53:46

Drool!!! Looks very low maintenance to me - the big thing is the mowing (get a big mower or a man in. Or both). Shrubs - v little, occasional hack back in autumn I reckon. Very little else. Swap it for my 'patio garden'!!! Go for it and enjoy! envy

ABetaDad Fri 03-Jul-09 15:12:14

Big dead trees cost a lot to shift - over £1000. Even more of access is tricky or if stands next to a neighbouring property.

If not removed, it may become a major issue with your insurance as it would constitute a pre-existing risk so it may not be covered when you transfer your household insurance to the property. You would need to specificly mention it to your insurance company in writing with a photograph to be on the safe side and even better I would ask the vendor to shift it as a condition of sale.

scaredofthegarden Fri 03-Jul-09 15:19:32

Thanks ABetaDad, that's really helpful - and a great idea to get it sorted prior to purchase.

Any other helpful hints or thoughts?!

Has anyone looked at the floorplan? We think they've made a mistake in not knocking through the kitchen to the utilty and store area to make a big living kitchen. I'm guestimating 20k to sort it out (the utility /store area is on a lower level and we'd want some roof lights too). Any views?

paisleyleaf Fri 03-Jul-09 15:26:38

That looks a really low maintenance garden
I think you'll just need a mower and hedge strimmer there - every few weeks in the warmer months.
The bigger trees I can see around in the pics look evergreen too....so not even that much leaf sweeping

Looks lovely. Those lovely big windows in that 3rd pic!

plantwoman Fri 03-Jul-09 15:32:23

oooo very nice.
Looks like mostly shrubs to me, so other than the huge amount of mowing, probably not that bad.

thefatladyscreams Fri 03-Jul-09 15:41:49

We've got a similar garden - it's pretty low maintenance because it's all shrubs/lawn and very little flower beds.

We mulch when we mow - i.e. don't collect the grass. Massive time saver and we don't spend long gardening. Mind you, we are pretty relaxed about it not looking picture perfect.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now