Talk

Advanced search

So ... my tomato plant has one solitary tom on it, why no more?

(5 Posts)
jodee Thu 02-Jul-09 23:37:18

My first attempt at growing anything edible - I have a Roma tomato plant bought at a nursery, still in same pot, on very sunny windowsill, watered every day. It has produced ONE fantastic tomato, it is very ripe and i will pull it off tomorrow.

Leaves, otoh, have gone mostly yellowy with black spots and then they just go brown and dry up. I haven't used any feed at all, should I be?

Will I get any more tomatoes? There were a few flowers but just the one tom!

GrimmaTheNome Thu 02-Jul-09 23:41:39

I'm no expert but since they sell special tomato food, yes you should have fed it!

jodee Fri 03-Jul-09 00:03:22

Ahh possibly! But when I saw one nice fat tom that had only had water, I just carried on!

MsF Fri 03-Jul-09 00:13:19

It needs a bigger pot...small pot...small crop.
(mines in a 18" circular pot on the patio in a sunny corner) (i'm assuming the nursery pot is one of the standard 4" pots?)

feed it with ANY general plant food if you have some...just to get it going...

the yellow leaves could be lack of water or too much water (ie pot sitting in water)... they like to be watered then drip out the excess through the bottom of the pot- they don't seem to like being wet constantly)

if it starts to grow...and you get flowers...each flower has the potential to become a tomato...if it is polinated...so to make sure this happens...gently touch each flower with a finger- spreading pollen from one flower to another...
as my tomato plant is larger now...i blast it with the hose pipe quickly at night to do this pollinating thing!!!!grin

MarmadukeScarlet Fri 03-Jul-09 00:20:38

MsF is correct, I had some left over brassicas - caulis and sprouts - so I left them in the 4" pots until the school fair. They are still only 6" tall, the ones in my veg bed are 2 foot!

Small pot = small plant.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now