Talk

Advanced search

Are cherries from blossom trees safe to eat?

(19 Posts)
MerlinsBeard Thu 02-Jul-09 12:19:47

I have 2 blossom trees in my garden, one has flowered and produced some delicious looking cherries which the birds are enjoying hmm

Are they edible and worth me fighting with the birds for? Or are they poisonous and i need to watch them being on the ground in case DS3 eats one?

reikizen Thu 02-Jul-09 12:21:43

God I hope so! I've eaten some on mine (but I did let DP try them first!) wink

MerlinsBeard Thu 02-Jul-09 12:24:10

Well, you're not dead so that's a positive sign!

Will don some protective gear and fight with the birds now that the babies have flown from their nest (in a bramble near the trees which i can now hack down!) will let them ripen on the window sill.

Oooh how exciting!

SammyK Thu 02-Jul-09 12:42:57

Hope so I keep eating the ones on the tree at the top of our road! Very tasty. smile

SammyK Thu 02-Jul-09 12:44:35

They do need to be dark cherry red though have found, if you pick them too early they are a bit sour. It is important to time it so you find the dark red ones before the brids do!

PheasantPlucker Thu 02-Jul-09 12:45:28

We have eaten them, and survived!

MerlinsBeard Thu 02-Jul-09 13:51:23

have picked a few and put on the kitchen windowsill to see if they ripen that way. Left the squidgy ones for the birdswink

There are lots that i can't reach so they are welcome to those onesgrin

Bucharest Thu 02-Jul-09 13:55:14

Erm, sorry for sounding thick here, but where else would cherries grow if not on cherry trees????

MerlinsBeard Thu 02-Jul-09 15:56:50

Well i didn't know if cherries from blossom trees were any different to cherries - these are growing singularly not joined to any others which is how i picture cherries blush

Bucharest Thu 02-Jul-09 16:16:22

grin
Are they nice? I love cherries.....
(especially those ginormous M and S soooooper cherries that cost about £4 for about 12......hmm)

Rhubarb Thu 02-Jul-09 16:21:45

MoM NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! They aren't cherries! They are the poisonous Sutrinitive Blessomous fruit, otherwise known as 'fake cherries'. They turn into blossom first and the fruit, that bears a resemblance to cherries, grows. BUT it is for birds only, it can cause gastric problems in humans!

Bucharest Thu 02-Jul-09 16:23:58

shock

Rhubarb Thu 02-Jul-09 16:24:23

Sorry, just kidding! wink

Bucharest Thu 02-Jul-09 16:25:11

<Bucharest slaps self round head for running off to google>

MerlinsBeard Thu 02-Jul-09 16:26:20

i actually googled that then Rhubs blush

Rhubarb Thu 02-Jul-09 16:30:39

Suckers!

grin

MerlinsBeard Thu 02-Jul-09 16:32:09

and then got worried about poisoning us all and found that the ones i have are fine phew!

(I actually thought it was gonna be the damn bat Rhubarbwink)

EffieGadsby Thu 02-Jul-09 16:43:22

I love the idea of a Blossom Tree - there to grow blossom, but with cherries then appearing as a sort of afterthought. Sadly, I only have a Leaf Tree in my garden, but fortunately little cob nuts appear on it in autumn. wink

MerlinsBeard Thu 02-Jul-09 16:46:05

It had a birds nest in it too - i was sooo pleased (its my first ever garden can you tellwink)

I kept leaving food for the birds (and babies) and was a little bit gutted when they left yesterday but my GOD was the noise deafening when they did!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now