Talk

Advanced search

Roses through old apple trees, any suggestions?

(7 Posts)
Pannacotta Fri 26-Jun-09 22:14:12

We have a couple of old apple trees in our garden which I'd like to grow roses through.
Have looked at the Peter Beales and David Austin websites but not sure which look best to grow up trees (would like white or perhaps pale pink).
Any recommendations?
Thanks

Nice idea! Funnily enough I only just read about this this morning in a gardening book. It recommends R. filipes "A vigorous rambling rose which will climb to the tops of tall trees. The white flowers, borne profusely in clusters, are sweetly scented. 'Kiftsgate' is an exceptionally vigorous form whose flower clusters consist of 100 or more flowers. These are followed by red fruits"

Here's a link to kiftsgate. Hope this helps!

Tangle Sat 27-Jun-09 16:54:04

It's a lovely idea but it would be worth having a good look at the apple trees first -a climbing or rambling rose can get VERY substantial and need a lot of support. Depending on the age and condition of your apple trees you might be better off considering a clematis instead as these will still provide masses of colour but with much less weight.

Hope it looks stunning, whatever you wind up with

Pannacotta Sat 27-Jun-09 20:03:16

Thanks.
Kiftsgate I do know and it is really gorgeous but much too vigourous.
I would prefer a rose to a clematis though, I think most clematis would struggle to get as high as the lower tree branches, but agree I need something not too mad.
We had a lovely white rambling rose growing through a Rowan in our previous garden and it looked amazing, but I dont know what it was as we didnt plant it....

TubOfLardWithInferiorRange Sun 28-Jun-09 16:24:35

I have a couple white climbers that are John F. Kennedys but I live in the states. They are very robust climbers as are blaze. I've seen both pink and red done but I would go with white, actually.

Lulubee Sun 28-Jun-09 18:12:23

Paul's Himalayan Musk is a lovely climber with clusters of pale pink flowers and a fantastic scent.

See here

Pannacotta Mon 29-Jun-09 17:42:02

Thanks Lulu that does look lovely, still might be a bit vigourous though, they call it "rampant" on the description!
Will have another look through the Peter Beales website...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now