Talk

Advanced search

Total garden virgin needs help!

(6 Posts)
blondissimo Tue 16-Jun-09 16:34:38

Hi
Please excuse my naivety but I have inherited a plant which I think is some sort of Cordyline (only think this after looking in Homebasegrin). It has long spiky leaves and very "architectural" looking, but the leaves are trailing on the ground, some look a bit dead.
How do I go about bringing this back to life? Can I just trim the leaves off at a certain length or do I need to cut them back to the root?
TIA

Pannacotta Tue 16-Jun-09 21:05:44

Cut back the dark/dry leaves to the stem and make sure you water it in the dry weather.
Is it in a pot or in the ground?

blondissimo Wed 17-Jun-09 06:37:34

Thanks Pannacotta - it is in a pot, but some of the leaves that are alive are also trailing on the ground - is it ok to trim these?

Pannacotta Wed 17-Jun-09 09:01:25

I would leave the healthy leaves and raise the pot if you need to - put it on bricks or something like that as its probably better not to trim the healthy growth if it is looking a bit ropey.

Am presuming it is a cordyline, does it look like these?
www.seagravenurseries.co.uk/products.asp?d=7&gclid=CMLo5O_qkJsCFc0B4wodaHctoA

blondissimo Wed 17-Jun-09 19:25:05

Hi
Yes seems to be one of those, I will try raising the pot. Any idea how often it needs watered?
Thank you for the advice so fargrin

Pannacotta Wed 17-Jun-09 21:08:44

WOuld water it well once or max twice a week depending on the size of the pot and the plant.
The larger the plant and the smaller the pot the more it will need.
DO give it a good soak each time though, perhaps half to full watering can at a time, though obviously this depends on the plant and pot size...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now