Talk

Advanced search

Advice needed on my grape vine

(8 Posts)
LaTrucha Tue 16-Jun-09 15:41:22

I've just bought a grape vine to grow up our pergola and put it in the ground. It ia about 4-5 foot tall and grows from three strong canes ATM.

The pruning advice that I've found online is not suitable for such a big plant - or doesn't seem so to me.

Someone has advised me to choose two of the canes, grow them to the top of the pergola, cutting off side shoots and then train it over the top.

I'm not sure whether this means I should cut the other cane right down. It seems a pity as it has grapes and is strong.

Any advice gratefully received.

LaTrucha Tue 16-Jun-09 16:53:40

bump

LaTrucha Wed 17-Jun-09 09:30:35

Ok. One more time. [hopeful emoticon]

Pannacotta Wed 17-Jun-09 21:05:33

Hello again!
I've never planted a grape vine so am no expert but I would just leave it as it is and train all the stems upwards, esp if they look healthy and vigourous and even have grapes on them.
I know you are supposed to prune climbing roses on planting but not convinced this is necessary with vines.
Was at my local library today and there were a few books on pruning, so you could double check if that would make you feel happier?
Or ask at the place where you bought it from?

TubOfLardWithInferiorRange Wed 17-Jun-09 21:44:17

No pruning AT ALL is necessary during the grape vine's first year in your garden as it is just getting established; however, it is advised to trim back to the one or two healthiest stems after the first year.

LaTrucha Wed 17-Jun-09 21:54:32

You got in there in the nick of time! I was just looking at it a minute ago and thinking if I could have a go at it before bed time (gardening time is limited with a toddler in hand, as you probably know!)

I'm really glad I don't have to cut it. I bought it because it was really lush, and although I'm not really bothered about the grapes, it seemed a shame to cut them off.

Pannacotta - the place I bought it from is useless - it's a branch of Focus! I am going to the library tomorrow though, so I'll have a loook.

TubofLardWithInferiorRange - just to be clear, would I leave it for a whole year, or prune it this autmun. It's pretty clear that you mean the former, but I'm just checking!

TubOfLardWithInferiorRange Wed 17-Jun-09 22:35:45

Assuming that you want your vine to grow up and over your pergola you could cut it back this winter after it's first year of growth. You do want to cut back to one or two stems that are strongest-I would think even one-this will be the vine's trunk!

LaTrucha Thu 18-Jun-09 13:34:37

Thanks very much. This is seeming doable now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now