Talk

Advanced search

first earlies - mine are due for harvest at end of june but no flowers yet.

(4 Posts)
poopscoop Tue 16-Jun-09 09:58:03

Am growing these, planting mid march after chitting etc. Growing nicely and according to the instructions they should be flowering and ready to crop in the next couple of weeks. Anyone else in the same boat.

Do we just leave them until after they flower or will they be ready anyway?

Hopefully Tue 16-Jun-09 11:22:37

I read somewhere that it shouldn't affect the potatoes, but who knows? Also that it's more common if they're in pots, but no idea if that's true or not.

Mine haven't flowered either (in potato bag). I will not be amused if there are no potatoes in the bottom after all the love and attention I have heaped on them!

poopscoop Tue 16-Jun-09 11:25:20

yes mine are in a potato bags and also in pots. Perhaps that is why.

I shall leave it for another couple of weeks and then maybe take a peek in one bag.

snorkle Tue 16-Jun-09 15:27:17

Some varieties don't flower. You can have a 'furtle' to see if you can find any potatoes & if so if they are as big as you want them, or wait a while - even until the leaves start to die back. My first earlies on the allotment are up to large-egg sized, but not that many on a plant yet. In 2-3 weeks I hope the yield will be better, but the small ones are scrummy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now