Talk

Advanced search

:What to do with awful soil

(2 Posts)
kazbeth Tue 16-Jun-09 09:36:47

I want to sort out my garden and get a half decent veg patch and lay some lawn down etc. At the moment a large part of our tiny garden is currently shrubs and small plants. We've dug up loads of the smaller ones so now the weeds have taken over instead (doh!)

The problem we have is that the soil is rubbish - literally. It looks like the builders just left all the rubble behind in the garden. We found a whole house brick in one bit!

I can't afford to get rid of it all and buy new compost so how can I improve this soil or replace it for cheap? Am I going to have to sieve out the stones for the next 10 years lol

Thanks

paranoidmother Tue 16-Jun-09 20:02:35

See if you can find someone locally who has horses and will let you have some manure and also go to the council and get a couple of compost bins. Use one bin for the manure as this will then turn to compost reasonably quickly. The other for some grass cuttings, cardboard, kitchen waste etc.

This you can dig into the patch of ground you are working on once it is compost.

Also I would say if you want ground for veg growing quickly I would recommend raised flower beds or large black veg bed bags that you can put down, it'll kill off the grass and then once you've grown something you can spend the time on the ground underneath.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now