Talk

Advanced search

Good simple gardening book for FIL

(7 Posts)
Wilkiepedia Mon 15-Jun-09 20:55:39

Any suggestions? He loves his garden, has just retired but is a novice. Anyone got any ideas for a good simple book that would help him for Fathers Day?

mollyroger Mon 15-Jun-09 20:57:05

the RHS do a nice 'grow your own vegetables' journal. Nice and straightforward with space for notes and things.

Wilkiepedia Mon 15-Jun-09 20:59:26

Maybe not veg - he loves colourful flowers, so something that would tell him what plants grow well at what time of year, sun, shade etc?

MoominMymbleandMy Mon 15-Jun-09 21:02:52

Monty Don's "The Weekend Gardener" is marvellous for a novice. It sets out things to do month by month, never assumes previous knowledge, and is well written and entertaining.

It was my bible when I started gardening and I still refer to it.

Wilkiepedia Mon 15-Jun-09 21:13:17

Thank you - have just googled and there are quite a few versions i.e. The Weekend Gardener: Beautiful Gardens for Busy People. Is the one you are referring to just The Weekend Gardener?

MoominMymbleandMy Mon 15-Jun-09 21:16:53

Mine is the one subtitled: Beautiful Gardens for Busy People.

I don't have the others but I'd be surprised if they weren't good too. Monty Don knows his stuff and is brilliant at communicating his enthusiasm.

Pannacotta Mon 15-Jun-09 22:17:22

This might be appropriate (ignore the AA refs on the product heading), its a book aimed at newly retired gardeners.
www.amazon.co.uk/Losing-Plot-AA-Illustrated-Reference/dp/0749561580/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1 245100518&sr=1-1
I have lots of the Hillier garden guide books and they are all really excellent IMO.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now