Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone advise a complete novice on growing her own veg?

(14 Posts)
CrushWithEyeliner Fri 12-Jun-09 16:29:21

I want to make this work but have no idea where to start re. time to sow, what kinds of things "work". I have a nice garden with good rich soil. If there are any good books you could recommend to help that would be great also. TIA

sarah293 Fri 12-Jun-09 16:39:37

Message withdrawn

CrushWithEyeliner Fri 12-Jun-09 18:06:53

I can't seem to find any good websites but may have to look again - thanks. Will make a start

sarah293 Fri 12-Jun-09 18:09:45

Message withdrawn

Heated Fri 12-Jun-09 18:09:48

I am growing two pumpkins & a single bean plant! grin

sarah293 Fri 12-Jun-09 18:11:45

Message withdrawn

CrushWithEyeliner Fri 12-Jun-09 18:15:12

Great thanks Riven

sarah293 Fri 12-Jun-09 18:15:45

Message withdrawn

SuperBunny Fri 12-Jun-09 18:21:56

Rocket - you can't go wrong with rocket. You can plant it now and should have some to eat in a few weeks. Same for lettuce.

Tomatoes
Potatoes
Onions - they have pretty flowers too
Garlic

I have also had great success with:

Peas (in that they grow, I didn't get many peas to eat but it was fun for DS)
Beans
Strawberries
Raspberries

Herbs: chives, coriander, dill, mint - but they all take over a bit so you have to be careful. I don't mind - I'd rather have too much than too little.

Heated Fri 12-Jun-09 18:31:09

Nooooo Riven, you can't have Jean Beanie.

Am starting small 'cos I kill things off! Although with only 3 to care for & nurture (they all have names now), I'm might get too attached if they succumb to my non-green thumbwink

Thanks for the links - put them in favourites to peruse later.

mollyroger Fri 12-Jun-09 18:42:01

The RHS publsih a very nice Grow Your Own Veg Journal with lots of tips etc.

Cut-and-come-again lettuce leaves are a must haveon my allotment; spring onions are easy and trouble free etc.

I have just planbted a row of beetroot today and 2 more rows of french beans.

Many markets sell 'ground ready' seedlings at the moment, you mmight still get sme sweetcorn caulis, brocolli from those.
Also tomato plants are quite easy - varieties like gardener's delight or moneyspinner are outdoor ones, and can be grown in deep pots or grow bags.

If you get a move on, you might also get some peas. They need some support from netting though.

Good luck - it's addcitive by the way

littlemissbossy Fri 12-Jun-09 18:58:35

It's all a bit of trial and error IMO - some things work, others don't and the weather has a lot to do with how successful you are. It's all pretty easy TBH you just need to remember to water/cut back when needed. Good luck.

This year we're growing

Potatoes
Spinach
Cabbages
Carrots
Brocolli
Asparagus
Cauliflowers
Garlic
Onions
Spring Onions
Tomatoes
Peppers
Cucumbers
Courgettes
Parsnips
Rhubarb
Blackberries
Strawberries
Ras pberries

sarah293 Fri 12-Jun-09 19:00:28

Message withdrawn

CrushWithEyeliner Fri 12-Jun-09 19:18:48

wow thanks all - lots to go one here - I thought I would have to wait until spring but not necessarily - good news would really like to get to it now

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now