Talk

Advanced search

I think I'm killing my clematis. Any ideas on resurecting the dead?

(10 Posts)
neolara Fri 12-Jun-09 11:00:32

I bought a very beautiful clematis about a month ago. I put it in a large pot and stuck it on the patio. Now the flowers are wilting and the leaves have turned yellow and some have gone brown. A similar clematis I bought at the same time, but have not yet re-potted, is sitting alongside my wilting one and is perfectly healthy.

Any ideas what the problem might be? I wondered if the clematis might be waterlogged as this was the first time I have used this pot. I did forget to water it a bit during the spell of hot weather a few weeks ago, but I forgot to water the healthy one too, and that one has revived fine. It's looking particularly bad today after a few days of rain.

If it is waterlogged, any ideas how I can bring it back to health?

TuttiFrutti Fri 12-Jun-09 15:46:55

What type of clematis is it? They are all different, and some are easier than others.

Have you been feeding it? The leaves turning yellow suggests it needs nitrogen - try giving it some Tomorite (tomato feed) as they usually like that.

Or it could be the dreaded clematis wilt, which affects some varieties but not others.

amisuchabadmummy Fri 12-Jun-09 15:51:35

i'd check it for vine weevil grubs too... life it out and check around the roots for white little maggotty grubs with brown heads.

LaTrucha Fri 12-Jun-09 20:03:17

Is the sun on the bottom part of the plant a lot? Clematis hate it when their roots get hot!

neolara Fri 12-Jun-09 21:12:33

Thanks for all your ideas. I had absolutely no idea about any of the things you suggested.

I've googled clematis wilt and it doesn't sound like could be that. (The leaves have gone yellow and brown, and not black and purple). I've taken it out of the pot and put it in a plastic container that has much better drainage and when I did that I didn't notice any grubs, so hopefully not vine weevil either. It has been planted in a patio which gets only partial sun, so I don't think it could be getting too hot either.

I wondered if maybe I put too much fertilizer in the compost when I planted it in the pot. Or whether the compost was the wrong sort - although all the other flowers I've planted out seem to be doing OK.

glitteryb6 Fri 12-Jun-09 21:17:01

LaTrucha do they? that explains why mine died maybe, xmil told me to put a brick over the roots to keep the heat

LaTrucha Sat 13-Jun-09 13:05:44

Apparently so. Rotts in the shade; head in the sun is what they like.

amisuchabadmummy Sat 13-Jun-09 13:05:55

bricks or crocks over the roots keep them cooler.

amisuchabadmummy Sat 13-Jun-09 13:07:11

actually are all the roots turning yellow then brown at the same time or are they starting from the bottom up?

if its all over it may be over watering and if its from the bottom up its more likely to be under watering.

ChristieF Tue 14-Jul-09 13:50:42

Does it have to stay in the pot? If not get it into the ground. Make sure you plant it very low. It may come back then.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now