Talk

Advanced search

Right, mint. Apparently a "no-fail plant for novice gardeners"...

(7 Posts)
snickersnack Tue 09-Jun-09 21:46:48

...or so I'm told. But mine looks distinctly sickly. All my other herbs are thriving (in fact, we're in danger of being overwhelmed by sage) but the mint is just a bit sad. Not bushy, not glossy, just a bit pathetic. It's in a tub in partial shade - it gets watered periodically. What am I doing wrong?

TheProvincialLady Tue 09-Jun-09 21:50:58

It's not no-fail. Mine died of whitefly. I am almost proudgrin

I wonder if it because of the shade?

snickersnack Tue 09-Jun-09 21:53:29

What would whitefly look like? My mum told me to move it into the shade. Her mint is enormous...

Kbear Tue 09-Jun-09 21:55:11

It probably needs feeding and watering more if it's in a pot. Maybe repot it into a bigger pot with some new compost. I think it you plant it in the ground it will take over though.

snickersnack Tue 09-Jun-09 21:56:39

What would I feed it with? Have some tomato food - would that work? It's quite a small pot - maybe it should be repotted. Definitely don't want to put it in the ground, I don't think...

TheProvincialLady Tue 09-Jun-09 21:59:28

You can't miss whitefly. If you touch the plant then loads of white flies (they look like little petals actually, quite pretty) fly off it.

Kbear my mint didn't take over even though it was in the ground. I must be the worst gardener ever!

girlandboy Tue 09-Jun-09 22:00:18

I've been trying to kill mine for the past 10 years.

The old lady who lived in this house before us planted it in the front garden.

It still springs up. FGS DON'T PLANT IT IN THE GARDEN.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now