Talk

Advanced search

Containers - how do you make yours look good all year?

(9 Posts)
LaTrucha Tue 09-Jun-09 21:26:17

I'm having a go at doing this, although I don't have much of a clue.

What I've done so far are pots with spring bulbs, white geraniums and I've just put in some trailing lobelia and sweet peas.

Anyone got tips to share?

And, by the by, does anyone know why I haven't found any pansy or viola plants this year? We were away until the end of May, but surely it's not too late?

morningpaper Tue 09-Jun-09 21:31:18

Hmm might be a bit late for buying pansies etc. - they are a spring thing really.

Basically, I rotate my pots so I put the spring-bulbs one behind my shed when they've finished - top 'em up with some good compost and leave them until next spring. Then pot up summer pots.

helenhicks Wed 10-Jun-09 12:36:32

Same here - although I do have a couple of camellias that look nice all year as they're evergreen. I did the spring bulbs for this year and they were a bit of a disappointment - I think I didn't pack the bulbs in enough - so if they're as rubbish next year I'll start again with them. But I have some lovely pots which have a trailing ivy that stays in the big one, and I replace the bedding plants. Just make sure to feed them loads as it makes a huge difference too.

LaTrucha Wed 10-Jun-09 14:41:38

SO my idea of an all-year round pot is an illusion?

I thought if I just had some basics and changed around the annuals as and when it might work. Maybe not.

WynkenBlynkenandNod Wed 10-Jun-09 17:46:02

I am trying to do this. I've got a trough with an ivy trailing over the side of side and a little variagated shrub, plus an alpine strawberry, wild viola things and a primrose, then something that tumbles down the side of it and flowers in spring. I'm going to pop some bulbs in this Autumn and a hardy cyclamen.

For this summer I have some climbing petunia that I had some seeds for, a snapdragon and popped in a couple of smaller type sunflower seeds. Am hoping that in time I'll get it so there's something all year round without me having to do anything apart from maybe just pop some summer plants in .

LaTrucha Wed 10-Jun-09 19:26:10

Hardy cyclamen is a very good idea. And sunflowers.

Do you think your petunias are going to be big enough? I'm not very good at growing from seed. My plants seem to stay quite small.

GrungeBlobPrimpants Wed 10-Jun-09 19:34:06

I have a couple of 'year round' pots with lavender and variegated ivy - add in/take out small seasonal stuff in between. Works for about 4 years or so then lavender gets too leggy so start all over again.

Other pots are all v seasonal

LaTrucha Wed 10-Jun-09 21:09:45

Good idea. I like that, Grungeblob.

WynkenBlynkenandNod Thu 11-Jun-09 01:27:51

I'm really proud of my petunias, they are a good foot or so tall. Only tried them as DS collected the seed. However they are very faffy and I won't do them again but will over winter a plant and take cuttings as I also tried that and it was a doddle in comparison, you can't tell which are seed and which are cuttings.

Like the idea of lavender so will give that a go if I can get some cuttings going from my lavender (can you tell what my new hobby is ?!)

I also am thinking about doing another trough with thyme and rosemary , couple of strawberries, lollo rosso, marigold, autumn crocus, snowdrops and tulips.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now