Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What flowering plants are you putting into the ground Now!

(19 Posts)
Starbear Mon 08-Jun-09 11:08:33

I've got a triangle bed with a fence on one side. We have just cleared it of a dead tree & weeds. What can I put into the ground now as a temporary bedding? I want to plan next years soon but not decided yet. about 3ft x 4 x 5ft of area
Need something just for now.
Very sunny spot smile

mummylin2495 Mon 08-Jun-09 11:14:52

asters,petunias,dahlia,s anything like that,but whatever you choose dont forget the slug pellets,all summer bedding plants are a sumptious feast for the slimy critters !

Starbear Mon 08-Jun-09 11:22:31

Thank you. Slugs! Big problem here! Well let's have ago. thank you smile

GrapefruitMoon Mon 08-Jun-09 11:49:30

Snapdragons? Got some lovely tall ones yesterday and I have always found them slug-resistant!

Starbear Mon 08-Jun-09 11:52:46

Grapefruit, its on the list Ta!

fishie Mon 08-Jun-09 11:53:45

busy lizzies not eaten by slugs. get all white for classy effect.

things not eaten in my garden... lobelia, geranium (real ones not perlagoniums), asters.

don't bother with dahlias or marigolds unless you wish to fatten your slugs.

Starbear Mon 08-Jun-09 12:35:19

ta! Yes, no amount of slug pellets have saved my marigolds. Why do I buy them every other year!

Starbear Mon 08-Jun-09 12:36:29

Also what is eatting my lilies? I can see no signs of the red beetles. Leaves on one side have been eaten!

fishie Mon 08-Jun-09 12:56:38

it probably is the beetles. they are hiding...

mummylin2495 Mon 08-Jun-09 13:10:10

slugs are crafty ,they eat the plants first ,then have the pellet for their dessert ! but this year i seem to have more snails than slugs

TubOfLardWithInferiorRange Mon 08-Jun-09 15:14:12

For the slugs you could try lying down a half of a grapefruit rind in the evening and then disposing of them in the morning.

Starbear Mon 08-Jun-09 16:00:30

Tub Ds thinks that slugs are the devils work as they upset Mummy. Used Christmas novelty beer that people give to DH (he hates the stuff.) I pick them off with my hands and put them in a pot sprinkled with salt. Not tried grapefruits yet will have a go!
fishie Normally spot them and squash them. can't see them right now. What do you recommend apart from fingers?
Anyone Know a really really good gardening stuff website? I could spend more time in the garden instead of shopping. smile

Pannacotta Mon 08-Jun-09 17:28:04

www.crocus.co.uk for plants
www.harrodhorticultural.com for gear
aaa.turning-earth.co.uk for inspiration

mummylin2495 Mon 08-Jun-09 19:07:42

ooh starbear ,you touch them with your bare hands !!! another nice little plant you could put in is the begonia

Starbear Mon 08-Jun-09 19:36:08

Mummy, No! Rubber gloves! Begonias, I'll look them up. Thanks smile
Panna Inspiration that's what I need.grin

mummylin2495 Tue 09-Jun-09 11:29:58

just a little tip ,we popped into b&q last night and in the gardening section they had trays of 30 petunias,there were about 4 missing from the tray so we went to see someone and they reduced them to £1.50 !In hindsight i should of bought some more and given them to my family,but anyway do look for discount plants when you go in there,they are usually very good at reducing the prices of them.

Starbear Tue 09-Jun-09 21:38:59

Just looked at turning earth site. Lovely ideas for shady corner. B&Q not that near to us and I only get the car to myself once a week! Actual I'm just making excuses! Hate spending time with ds shopping in ugly places! I'm really weird at times. we have a lovely gardening centre about 20 mins away but DH has banned me from there.sad I like the idea of shopping online as I can do this when he is in bed and do housework until the delivery arrives. Well that's only if they deliver on my days off!
Wish I didn't work then can look after my house and garden. (isn't that so 1950's!) where have I left my feminist values. Oh! maybe I left it in the ironing basket I'll go and look smile

Pannacotta Tue 09-Jun-09 22:06:47

Turning Earth is a gorgoeus website, I have got lots of ideas from it.
If you want to shop for plants on line and need ideas for plants for shade, have a look here
www.plantsforshade.co.uk

Starbear Wed 10-Jun-09 16:49:51

Panna I've had no time for gardening since I posted sad See if I can snatch a little time on Saturday. Apparently my ds 4 yrs old WANTS to watch rugby with his Dad. We don't have Sky so they are going out to watch it. I hope this is the sign of the future Saturday afternoons in the garden while the boys are at football, cricket or rugby. I'll have their tea ready when they get home bliss.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now