Talk

Advanced search

Help me find my birthday present!

(11 Posts)
LaTrucha Sat 06-Jun-09 21:53:09

I live in a coastal and windy area. It's not terribly exposed.

I'd like a large plant or very small tree to live in a large pot by my front door as a birthday present. I don't have a clue if a plant that would be happy in this situation really exists.

There are a few palms in my street, but I'm not that keen.

Any ideas for lovely things?

Thanks.

LaTrucha Sun 07-Jun-09 08:43:24

It doesn't exist?

melmog Sun 07-Jun-09 08:52:41

I've got a little red book from the RHS. Its called the plant finder and it's got sections for different garden/soil conditions and plants that would suit. I can't find it though!!!
No help at all but if you went on the RHS website I'm sure you'll find something on there.
Happy birthday from me! x

Danae Sun 07-Jun-09 08:58:08

Message withdrawn

missingtheaction Sun 07-Jun-09 11:02:30

if it's coastal and windy but not exposed, and if you have palms nearby, then you might get away with something tenderish - an olive?

Safer bet would be something like a topiary bay tree or box or something like that. Or you could go for an Acer. Hebes will live anywhere and there are a billion to choose from. Or a magnolia.

Now I want one too.

LaTrucha Sun 07-Jun-09 19:48:08

Missingtheaction - Hmm... magnolia. Tempting but might be too windy. I was tempted too by an Acer. Do they adapt themselves to the place they have to grow in? ie. would it be happy in a pot?

Danae - escallonia looks good. Can you shape it?

Melmog - I have a very similar book but it's not helping me with this particular one. I'm going to have a look on the RHS website though. Thanks for the idea.

Still thinking about magnolias.. I'm going to do some homework.

Has anyone got an Acer / can tell me how much it might like or dislike a pot / wind?

Danae Sun 07-Jun-09 20:26:26

Message withdrawn

Pannacotta Mon 08-Jun-09 13:51:37

Acers good in pots but they dont like the wind.
I dont think a Magnolia is ideal for a pot in a windy situation, they are really woodland shrubs/trees.
Escallonias and Hebes are both good suggestions as they take the wind and the flowers are pretty too.

LaTrucha Mon 08-Jun-09 14:00:04

I'm sure you're right. I was hoping!

Thanks.

TubOfLardWithInferiorRange Tue 09-Jun-09 16:34:28

Magnolias can do fine in windy areas if they are planted sheltered from the wind. We have hurricane force winds that come in from the west but I've seen magnolias do very well when given enough shelter on the east side of homes in the area.

LaTrucha Tue 09-Jun-09 19:27:57

I wonder if I can find a spot... hmm ... Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now