Talk

Advanced search

Polytunnel - what do I need to know

(3 Posts)
markiedarlin Fri 05-Jun-09 13:26:41

Am growing some veggies in pots and containers at the moment and am in the process of filling in an old pond at the bottom of the garden so next year I can use this as a veg patch. I am wondering whether to buy a small polytunnel and was wondering what the pros and cons were (if any) or whether a small greenhouse would be better. would be growing cucumbers, peppers and tomatoes.

Any ideas fore or against would be welcomed.

FuriousGeorge Fri 05-Jun-09 21:20:23

I have a big polytunnel,about 20 x 50ft & it is fabulous.The only down side I have had is that a cat jumped up onto the top after a bird,and ripped a hole,but I was able to repair it with some tape.

'Gardening under plastic' by Bernard Salt is a great book.It gives the pros & cons of greenhouses,tunnels ect,how to erect them,planting schedules at least so on.I get a t least 10-12 weeks extra growing season a year with mine.

markiedarlin Mon 08-Jun-09 13:17:11

Thanks Furious - sorry have not returned to this post only i use my computer at work to mumsnet and this is the first chance i've had today to look.

Am looking at a polytunnel 2m x 10m to fit at the bottom of the garden, expecially after this weekend's wet weather and having to try and put what I', growing in containers under cover otherwise they'd have floated down the garden.

Will def have a look for the book and have a read.

thanks again for taking the trouble to respond.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now