Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

can anyone help me with brocolli and cucumber plants please!

(11 Posts)
cheesesarnie Tue 02-Jun-09 23:17:54

im a complete beginner.i kill plants....but i brought a broccoli plant,a tomoato plant and a cucumber plant on sunday and want to really try!

can i grow them in pots or similar rather than planting in ground?its just that our house is rented and im not sure if veg patch would be landladys idea of fun!

also what else do i need to know????

odearyme Tue 02-Jun-09 23:19:22

Yes they will all grow in pots, I would get quite big ones or a grow bag. Just put them somewhere with plenty of sun.

PlumBumMum Tue 02-Jun-09 23:22:04

I'm sure you could grow them all in plants, but I want to warn you about the broccoli you have to make sure it dosen't get cabbage root fly,
you can either treat it or get some plastic colar for round its base(read that in Jamie Oliver),
also watch out for the cabbage butterfly caterpillars, I speak from experience of my cauliflower getting raided by both last year!

Kbear Tue 02-Jun-09 23:22:33

WATER is the answer! They will be fine in big pots but you must water them every day, pref in the evening when it's cooler.

PlumBumMum Tue 02-Jun-09 23:22:39

grow them in plantshmm of course I mean't pots!

cheesesarnie Tue 02-Jun-09 23:24:15

ooh i didnt expect such quick responses.thankyou!

where do i buy plastic colar?what is plastic colar???grinor what do i treat with.i dont 'do' caterpillars!

cheesesarnie Tue 02-Jun-09 23:25:14

grin plum.i understood.

ive been watering about 7-8 pm.

very exciting.i'll go looking for pots tomorrow.

PlumBumMum Tue 02-Jun-09 23:28:20

I'm not sure what the plastic collar is? just read about it, think its if you don't want to use pesticides it will stop the fly burrowing down to lay eggs,
Caterpillars [yuck], I thought I didn't 'do' them either until the littlle blighters were munching away on my cauli's, iwasn't long pulling them off!

odearyme Wed 03-Jun-09 08:00:57

If you've only got one brocoli plant, just check the underside of the leaves every day, if a butterfly has layed eggs, there will be a group of tiny yellow/orange things sticking there, just squash them.

cheesesarnie Fri 05-Jun-09 23:42:55

thanks.

seriously i dont 'do' caterpillars!i had weird allergy to some thing they squirt to get rid of birds and hate themgrin

frostyfingers Mon 08-Jun-09 10:47:53

Cucumbers like it hot, hot hot!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now