Talk

Advanced search

What's happened to my Coriander plants?

(14 Posts)
beaniebaby25 Tue 02-Jun-09 19:04:00

I need some advice!! I've nurtured some coriander plants from seed and they're now in a pot on my kitchen windowsill. All was well, I'd been using it in curries etc, but now the plants are really tall (around 40cms?) and the leaves are changing shape with every new sprouting. They're not a lot more whispy and look 'ferny', and are not as pungent. I havent cooked with any of these new leaves yet. Also the stalks and leaves are growing more and more pale (yellow/whitish)

Now this afternoon I get home from work and there are flowers on the plant! small, white flowers. What's going on!? hmm Please someone help!

grin

wiggletastic Tue 02-Jun-09 19:05:42

Your coriander has 'bolted' and will be no good anymore I'm afraid. You need to keep using it or cutting it back and not let it flower. Time to start again. Sorry.

theDreadPirateRoberts Tue 02-Jun-09 19:06:56

I'm afraid you've bolted...

Time to start from new.

My understanding (I've been gardening for a whole 8 months now) is that bolting can be caused by underwatering. But coriander has a limited lifespan when domesticated, so you have to re-seed every few months.

HTH

beaniebaby25 Tue 02-Jun-09 19:12:35

oh no sad

Thanks both for your speedy words of wisdom. Can't believe i have to start again angry

I'm so glad I asked...otherwise I'd have been left with a massive useless plant! And how I know what to do differently next time. smile

wiggletastic Tue 02-Jun-09 19:20:57

Good luck with the new ones beanie. I can't even get my coriander seedlings to grow at all. Contrary things plants. sad

foxinsocks Tue 02-Jun-09 19:24:26

omg I knew nothing of this bolting!

I better start chopping back now

at least you got some use out of it beanie!

Kathyis6incheshigh Tue 02-Jun-09 19:25:07

But you could always keep the bolted ones alive and you will get coriander seed which you can either dry and use in cooking, or sow next year. No need to waste them.

PlumBumMum Tue 02-Jun-09 19:27:45

Oh this is brilliant, this happened to mine last year produced loads of seeds, now I know there's a name for it, don't know where I put themsad

wiggletastic Tue 02-Jun-09 19:28:06

Oh yes, coriander seed very tasty. Good tip Kathy. smile

missingtheaction Tue 02-Jun-09 22:21:47

as Kathy says keep the bolted ones for seed, and sow some new ones for leaves. really organised radio presenters claim to sow things like coriander every couple of weeks so there is always fresh stuff on the go. The bolted ones sound as if they might appreciate some fresh compost as they are getting a bit pale and weedy, but they will probably hold out if you can't be bothered

foxinsocks Tue 02-Jun-09 22:23:45

ooh you guys are gooood grin

I planted basil and rosemary at the same time and they seem quite happy.

Do I need to know about anything else bolting or am I safe?

SazzlesA Tue 02-Jun-09 22:26:11

Message withdrawn

beaniebaby25 Wed 03-Jun-09 08:00:07

wow you lot really know your stuff! Thanks again. I think I'll leave them be and keep the seeds... and grow some more in the meantime. I've just got through a new batch of herbs to sow so i'll do them all at the same time

Thanks ladies! smile

sis Wed 03-Jun-09 09:33:33

Coriander seeds are also supposed to benefit from being soaked in water for a few hours before sowing to help germination.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now