Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone used that bamboo or similar stuff on a roll as fencing ?? Is it strong enough or will it fall apart ??

(14 Posts)
NervousNutty Tue 02-Jun-09 10:34:26

The one side of my garden just has one of those waist height wire fences attatched to concrete posts. It is rubbish and has been falling down for ages, and also offers no privacy at all.

The housing won't replace it so I need to do something with it myself and although I could just about afford fence panels, I can't afford to pay anyone to actually put the fence up.

I was thinking of getting that bamboo on a roll stuff instead and putting that along there and attatching it to the concrete posts/exisiting fence with cable ties.

Will that work or will it be too flimsy. I would only do it waist high, as any higher would definatly not work I don't think.

ChopsTheDuck Tue 02-Jun-09 10:36:41

It is fecking horrible, don't do it. Our neightbour replaced most of the fence apart from the last bit, and then decided to fill it in with bamboo. It waves around in the breeze and looks ugly. It's not actually that hard to put a fence up, jsut time consuming. Don't you know anyone who coul;d help you do it?

NervousNutty Tue 02-Jun-09 10:40:14

Yes, my dad, but the list of things I am waiting for him to do is as long as my arm, and on average I wait about 12mths before he does each one lol.

I don't know anyone else who could help me do it.

Would it still look crap even if I got the the willow stuff instead ? Thats darker so might look slightly tidier.

ChopsTheDuck Tue 02-Jun-09 10:44:03

I think it's just really hard to get to stand firm, so it flaps around and looks rather untidy. I guess with concete pasts maybe it might be a bit mroe stable.

Is it worth asking your neighbour if they would contribute towards erection costs if you paid for the panels?

NervousNutty Tue 02-Jun-09 10:46:45

I don't think they would tbh as they rarely use their garden and don't seem to bothered about it's upkeep.

Pannacotta Tue 02-Jun-09 17:09:35

How tall are the concrete posts?
I think the bamboo looks good, if put up well.
we used it out first garden (8 years ago) when we had no cash for fencing and attached it to 6 ft wooden posts. It is still there!

You can gegt various types, I like the split reed which you can get from B&Q.

NervousNutty Tue 02-Jun-09 18:05:54

The concrete posts are 1 meter tall.

Tbh most things would look loads better than it does now, so as long as it improves it and lasts til I can afford to pay someone to fit a proper fence then thats fine.

southeastastra Tue 02-Jun-09 18:07:12

cover the wire fence (or replace that) with some virginia creeper or nice fast growing plant like that

Pannacotta Tue 02-Jun-09 21:18:45

You could add any of the roll type screening (bamboo/reed etc) and fix it by wiring it around the posts.
Then add some low climbers such as sweet peas, but I wouldn't put anything too vigourous on a fence which is only 1m tall or it will flop over and bring the fence down.

NervousNutty Tue 02-Jun-09 22:07:57

Trouble is, i am crap with plants and plus nothing grows very well in my garden because there is a row of trees behind my back fence which suck all of the moisture out of the ground and block all the light too.

The fence is about 800 meters long too so i'd need alot surely.

Pannacotta Tue 02-Jun-09 22:12:59

800 metres?? grin

Am sure it woudl look fine without any plants.

NervousNutty Wed 03-Jun-09 10:23:14

Lol, I meant 8 grin

Have just ordered it, so fingers crossed.

NervousNutty Thu 04-Jun-09 15:18:18

Thanks for the advice everyone, the fencing came this morning and it's all done grin

Pics on proifle

Pannacotta Thu 04-Jun-09 23:33:20

It looks great, well done you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now