Talk

Advanced search

What are you going to plant in your garden now?

(8 Posts)
Starbear Sun 31-May-09 00:12:22

just spent all day in the garden, weeding, getting rid of ivy, lilic, bind weed, roots to dead trees & unknown other weeds. DH is going to come back with ds and think I've done nothing sad What can I get quickly to pot now that will look fab.
Still have a 7ft x3ft x3ft triangle in the sun to fill but I'm not sure what to put in it. Thanks for any tips smile

TubOfLardWithInferiorRange Mon 01-Jun-09 17:39:48

As far as something showy-nothing beats peonies and hydrangeas, IMO. Lots of lovely flowering shrubs out there as well! For planting now in the garden-beans, beets, carrots, squash, pumpkins. You could also transplant cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, corn, peppers, tomatoes, eggplant, okra, and squash. Or you could make a lovely herb garden-not to late to sow herbs into the ground either-or pick up some plants and plop them in!

thell Mon 01-Jun-09 22:45:23

Ooh, yes! How about lavender, rosemary, thyme etc? Lavender will give you nice flowers soon too.
{I do like herbs,...]

Pannacotta Mon 01-Jun-09 22:52:36

For a hot sunny bed how about Cistus, Lavender, Sage (both types), Verbena (flower from now till November), Gaura, Penstemon (also flower from now till Nov), hardy Geraniums.
Suggest getting at least 3 of each perennial, planting in groups looks better ans is better at keeping weeds at bay.

Agree that Peonies are lovely but they are getting past their best by now.

TubOfLardWithInferiorRange Mon 01-Jun-09 23:12:57

Depends on where you are-my peonies have yet to pop-I forget that I am a little behind the times, sometimes. Sorry!

onebatmother Mon 01-Jun-09 23:22:52

sorry to hijack, but if I sow lavender seeds right now, will they grow? and also, will they grow through pea gravel?

TubOfLardWithInferiorRange Tue 02-Jun-09 00:50:05

If you plant them they will grow! Saw it in a movie-or somthin' like it. Ah-yeah they will grow through pea gravel of a reasonable depth if you give them some soil as well-I-is it a science experiment?

onebatmother Tue 02-Jun-09 08:40:47

thank you Tub.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now