Talk

Advanced search

I'm such a muppet. Please don't laugh at me !

(15 Posts)
WriggleJiggle Fri 29-May-09 20:43:41

I've got a bit of a gardening nightmare. My little seedlings are growing beautifully, infact I've got so many I've almost run out of room to put them all.

However ...........

I have NO idea what any of them are blush. Some of them are carrots, sunflowers and peas, so that's fine because I can identify those. The rest are a mystery to me.

Please don't laugh (too much) at me. I had two small gardeners helping me when I sowed them.

Ooops. Any suggestions?

GypsyMoth Fri 29-May-09 20:48:32

Yeah, wait and see!!!!

WriggleJiggle Fri 29-May-09 20:53:06

But they're all in pts at the moment, and they can't stay in there 'cos they'll get too big, and I don't know what they'll turn into, and they might be triffids, and and and

candyfluff Fri 29-May-09 21:43:55

you can always plant them up again if they get too big
btw courgettes and cauliflower plants grow huge!!

PigeonPie Fri 29-May-09 21:50:23

How about re-potting them into larger pots and then when they've grown more leaves, if you can't identify them, put pictures up on here and ask people to help you!

BTW, try not to re-pot carrots - they won't like it!

TubOfLardWithInferiorRange Fri 29-May-09 22:07:21

Plant what you can identify into the ground. Then get the little gardeners and maybe a couple sprouts to the nursery or library and go on a quest to identify your seedlings-it may take you a week or two but you can make a great game of it! Bonus-next year you can say-ooh, let's take care what we've planted-remember what happened last year?

WriggleJiggle Fri 29-May-09 22:54:09

Mmm, am toying with the idea of planting everything whilst they are sleeping next year.
The carrots are fine - they're the fluffy looking things.
Perhaps I should raise everything 5ft off the ground as well, to stop all the replanting that is going on. smile

TubOfLardWithInferiorRange Sat 30-May-09 05:48:59

I think you should be able to tell a tomato seedling from, say something in the squash family. What did you plant?

Fillyjonk Sat 30-May-09 14:48:40

can you post photos on your profile?

What could they be?

I think this could be rather fun!

MadBadandDangerousToKnow Sat 30-May-09 14:52:14

Yes, post pictures and we'll have a quiz!

Fillyjonk Sat 30-May-09 14:52:51

actually we should do this regularly.

TubOfLardWithInferiorRange Sat 30-May-09 14:56:15

I am up for The Gardener's Challenge-name that plant.

MadBadandDangerousToKnow Sat 30-May-09 14:56:28

Yes, we should.

This reminds me of when my seedhouse blew over in the wind, the labels ended up in the wrong pots and the centrepiece of my cutting garden turned out to be ... radishes. blush

3littlefrogs Sat 30-May-09 14:58:40

A friend of mine ended up with a lovely display of cabbages in the central bed in his front garden grin

WriggleJiggle Mon 01-Jun-09 09:33:56

Mmm, will investigate how to add photos to my profile. I've one or two other 'things' that it would be useful to identify as well. Weeds or not weeds? I know, I know, a weed is just a plant in the wrong place, but with a vegetable garden the size of a postage stamp, every plant matters!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now