Talk

Advanced search

plastic greenhouses and how to train peas

(9 Posts)
Distracted Fri 29-May-09 16:25:41

I've got 2 questions here. Am having my first stab at growing peas and have bought one of those plastic greenhouses to grow peppers and aubergines (tall thin type with something like 4 shelves).

Firstly, how do you train peas? I bought seedlings which I grew on my windowsill initially and then planted out. I've put some canes in next to them but the pea tendrils look much too fine to actually wrap around the bamboo canes. I'm not too sure how to get them started?

Re. the plastic greenhouse, it's in front of an east-facing wall so gets all the morning sun until about 1-2 pm and then it's in shade. I've been zipping it up at night to protect the peppers from the overnight chill and unzipping in the morning. When I go out in the morning, it's like a tent inside - dripping with condensation and really hot (plants looked a bit droopy this morning in the heat). The misty condensation on the door means that until I unzip it the sun isn't really getting onto the plants, which is a shame as it's usually 9 o'clock before I get out there and the sun comes up really early. I'm tempted to leave it unzipped overnight, but if I do that then I guess it will be too cold??

Please can you wise gardeners advise?

GreatUncleBulgaria Fri 29-May-09 17:47:56

I'm not a wise gardener but thought I'd have a shot at answering ! My plastic greenhouse is now left unzipped permanently and the peppers etc seem to be fine. Before I left it totally open at night I used to put the door down but leave it partially unzipped overnight to help them harden off.

For the peas, I wind twine around the canes to give them something to grab hold of.

Distracted Fri 29-May-09 19:02:47

Thanks GreatUncleBulgaria, that's good to know. I guess the nights are getting warmer so perhaps I'll start by just half-zipping the door and then progress to leaving it open.

For the peas do you mean that you link canes together with twine or just wind twine around an individual can to make it more grippy?

GreatUncleBulgaria Sat 30-May-09 08:13:46

Link them together with twine making a sort of web structure.

TubOfLardWithInferiorRange Sat 30-May-09 14:46:42

v. fancy-the peas on canes-probably the proper way. I take dead wood/brush from last year's garden and stick it all about the peas.

Chaotica Sat 30-May-09 15:15:55

I use old twigs for the peas too (tried canes and it was a failure - didn't ask on MN) - it worked really well.

Distracted Sat 30-May-09 17:25:54

How high do the peas grow then? Or do you just use twigs to get the peas started?

Having never grown them before am not sure.

TubOfLardWithInferiorRange Sun 31-May-09 04:08:30

Depends on the variety you planted, I think, as to how tall your peas will grow. I personally have all manner and sizes of trimmed or dead branches/twigs from year to year so I just stick a bunch in the ground amongst the peas and that's that. I also grow cantaloupes up my trees so basically I'm just a pretty lazy gardener! Also, I do tend to plant a lower growing, bushier pea. If you have cane and twine and can manage some webbing, I think that will be lovely!

Distracted Sun 31-May-09 12:46:43

Thanks very much, will get out there this afternoon and see what I can do! I bought the pea seedlings from a garden centre and actually haven't a clue what they are! They were just labelled 'peas', no variety and no info on how to plant/grow or anything else so I guess I'll find out.

Thanks for all the advice

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now