Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

If you were going to have a table made from WOOD for garden which wood to choose?

(24 Posts)
RTKangaMummy Thu 05-May-05 21:22:53

If you were going to have a table made from WOOD for garden which wood to choose?

ASH

TEAK

OAK

WALNUT

?????

Thanks

zebraX Thu 05-May-05 21:24:49

Any hardwood, says DH. He thinks ours is mahogony -- we cover it when it rains & bring it in the garage during winter. I treated it with Teak oil which is supremely nasty, though recommended....

RTKangaMummy Thu 05-May-05 21:26:56

Thanks

I want the best quality

A carpenter is making a table for us and want to get the best possible

IYSWIM

RTKangaMummy Thu 05-May-05 21:27:32

I want it to be out most of the year

zebraX Thu 05-May-05 21:29:09

DH & I agree that oak is going to be the toughest, if you mean "hardwearing" when you say quality.... I think walnut is pretty but I wouldn't use it for outdoors. Pine or beech not hard-wearing enough. I suppose ash might be ok (but am guessing!). Doesn't your carpenter have suggestions? I'd go surfing for "outdoor wooden table" and see what they're made out of.

RTKangaMummy Thu 05-May-05 21:29:28

It is pressie for my mum and dad

And I want it to last in good condition

RTKangaMummy Thu 05-May-05 21:31:14

Yes he says Teak

But want to see grain in the wood and think maybe teak is a bit dark

If that makes any sense

RTKangaMummy Thu 05-May-05 21:32:08

Brill idea about surf will google

Thanks for idea

Should have thought of that

zebraX Thu 05-May-05 21:34:35

I expect the most expensive tables will be made out of the best wood.

RTKangaMummy Thu 05-May-05 22:14:10

They all seem to be teak

Libb Thu 05-May-05 22:19:34

I think walnut is very good hardwood (if I recall it is dark) - I used to work in a woodware factory but we didn't deal with posh wood a great deal - just your basic warping pine/mdf

RTKangaMummy Thu 05-May-05 22:21:38

Thanks will enquire about it

Janh Thu 05-May-05 22:22:05

Teak or other foreign hardwood.

Z, there was a thread recently about treating garden furniture - will look for it for you - you can get away without teak-oiling or anything else (but it will look grey)

RTKangaMummy Thu 05-May-05 22:23:30

ok thanks

oops should have achieved

Janh Fri 06-May-05 11:44:30

Finally found it, Kanga (not that I've been looking since last night! But I couldn't find it then and have only just remembered) - here

hermykne Fri 06-May-05 11:54:15

oak, imo. like it when its weathered

Fio2 Fri 06-May-05 12:12:42

what about plastic?:O my plastic one has been going strong for 7 years

zebraX Fri 06-May-05 12:48:42

thanks for the link, janh.

RTKangaMummy Fri 06-May-05 21:28:07

Thanks guys and Jan

Still can't decide

Am going to try to ask Mum and Dad what they have already although I think it is teak

Can't ask brother cos he is in Wales atm.

So will wait for him to come home then ask him if he knows what they have already

But it seems oak or teak

I am wondering about American Black walnut

Does anyone know about that?

Thanks in advance for help

hub2dee Mon 09-May-05 23:57:30

Hi Kanga - have a look at this site for stunning designs and stunning wood. IMO the best stuff you can find in England. They'll be at the Chelsea Flower Show this Year. Indoor and outdoor wooden furniture.

Teak, when oiled or soaked by rain is a lovely rich 'tobacco' brown. If you leave it to weather it will go a silver grey.

I think you'd get too much cracking / movement in oak used horizontally.

Arbor Vetum (above) use only reclaimed teak (from buildings / boats etc.) and are the First Company in the World to receive some kind of special Forest Stewardship Council accreditation for their recycled wood.

I don't know about using walnut for outdoor furniture, sorry.

HTH

Gwenick Tue 10-May-05 02:00:01

humph - Africa Trackwoods (one of our suppliers) used ONLY reclaimed woods too..........have been every since they set up years ago (they use old railway sleepers from the now disused colonial railways)

Anyhow,

I agree that Teak would probably be the best - it ages beautifully......

hub2dee Tue 10-May-05 07:42:07

I'm not saying other manufacturers don't use recycled wood ! I am saying that this company was the first to get an FSC accreditation !

It's a big point in their favour when you look at so much of the UK teak garden furniture market which often seems to come from non-FSC approved sources.

Twiglett Tue 10-May-05 08:07:25

Teak - without question

mahogany is too majestic IMHO

hub2dee Wed 11-May-05 08:11:25

Thread killer.

I think it was the word 'majestic' that sent the humble servants scattering. LOL.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now