Talk

Advanced search

Thinking of doing some landscaping

(6 Posts)

I want to build a path and a circle thingy in the middle of the path and possibly do an area of decking. I can't afford to have anyone do it for me, but have no experience of doing anything like this myself.

How hard is it? Will I be able to teach myself the skills I need by looking on the internet? I've also seen a 3 hour hard landscaping course at the local college which is only £35 but will that be long enough to teach me what I need to know.

JackOFish Tue 19-May-09 21:30:56

Paths are quite easy- depending on what surface you want. Decking is tricky- you need to have a good drill, power saw and plenty of screws! There are plenty of good books about that will give you the basics- pop into your local library and see what's about.
The college course sounds like gvfm, they'll probably show you how to put up fence panels and trellis and maybe a path, possibly even decking (as it is popular). My advice would be to give them a ring and see what the content is before booking a place!
Hope this helps grin

morningpaper Tue 19-May-09 21:32:46

I've built decks, they are REALLY EASY. Honestly, look at your average builder, he just knows a few more things than you. BUT NOT MANY. It's mostly commonsense.

I think all you want is QUITE achievable, as long as you are the practical sort who quite enjoys a bit of a challenge.

Of course this depends what your "circle thingy" IS exactly, if it's some sort of stone-carved labrynth then perhaps not

Circly thingy is one of those......mmmmmm......circle things that you sometimes get in the middle of paths. Like a few paving slabs that you buy that come togetehr in the shape of a circle. So no more trickly than a patio jigsaw I reckon.

Hubby has lots of tools like power saw, drill, etc. I reckon I'm good to go. Will check out the library/internet first though....grin Thanks.

EachPeachPearMum Wed 20-May-09 21:36:00

Stripey- those circles come in kits from garden centres- you just buy the size you want.

sparklefrog Sat 06-Jun-09 20:50:44

Make sure the screws you buy are decking screws! grin

PS. The circle thingy is called a circle pack. If you get a circle pack , you dont need to get the squaring off kit with it ... as you only want a circle finish ... saves ya moneygrinHTH

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now