Talk

Advanced search

My tomato plants have stopped growing!

(15 Posts)
Earthymama Tue 05-May-09 14:01:01

I have Gardener's Delight and Falco De Rosso grown from seed, germinated indoors, potted into 3' pots....they've just stopped growing. they are in a unheated green house.

Any tips please?

MakemineaGandT Tue 05-May-09 16:51:42

how long have they been out? If not very long - don't panic - they are probably just adjusting to the cooler temperature before they get growing again (mine did this and are now going great guns again!)

Earthymama Wed 06-May-09 08:34:43

Thank you, I do hope so! I've kept some indoors on a warmer window sill and they are the same, healthy but tiny.

DP is panicking and talking about the garden centre already, but I want to hang fire and get all the glory smile.

It's so cold though isn't it? At least here in South Wales, there's a chill to the bone wind blowing.

fishie Wed 06-May-09 08:51:11

mine too. don't worry they will catch up.

meltedmarsbars Wed 06-May-09 13:42:59

They need warmth in the day and no less than 5c at night.
yellow = need feeding/potting on
blue = too cold.

Takver Wed 06-May-09 15:22:46

I would feed them - mostly I give everything a dose of seaweed feed at this point in the year just to pick up on any missing minerals etc.

fishie Wed 06-May-09 15:28:39

not meant to feed until flowers have appeared

Takver Wed 06-May-09 15:38:10

Why? Can see why you wouldn't want to use a high nitrogen feed that this point, but IMO there often isn't enough nutrient content in the compost to last from potting on to planting out. I know that the compost we use only claims to have nutrients for 3 weeks. I find that the non peat organic ones definitely need a bit of helping along!

Mybox Wed 06-May-09 15:38:42

They need lots of sun

snorkle Wed 06-May-09 16:51:15

I expect they want to be in bigger pots. I always find tomatoes grow loads as soon as you move them up. (This assumes they're not absolutely tiny at the moment but if they've stopped at around between 4" and 10" tall I expect that's why).

Earthymama Thu 07-May-09 17:16:30

I wish they were that big, they are weenie! About 2" with 4 leaves. I'm hoping it might warm up and I'll give them a feed I think.

Thank you all I will let you know if I have to go to the garden centre.

Now about those non-germinating sweetcorn........smile

Takver Thu 07-May-09 20:37:34

non-germinating sweetcorn . . . stick 'em in the airing cupboard . . . so long as they're in pots not the garden grin

Earthymama Tue 12-May-09 23:07:36

Only 2 sweetcorn germinated....will try the airing cupboard.

The tomatoes are doing well about 3" tall.

Now about those sweetpeas.............grin

meltedmarsbars Wed 13-May-09 13:05:51

Sweetcorn - my failsafe method is to put it on wet kitchen roll on saucer in warm place. Sprouts within days then out each sprouting seed into warm compost. They do not like cold, which is why farmers cover their fields in that plastic stuff to germinate their wholecrop maize.

Sweetpeas - tried soaking overnight before planting? works here.

Earthymama Wed 03-Jun-09 18:36:10

Sorry not been back, have been planting all the things I've bought recently, (flowering plants that is not veg)

I know it has all got to be from sweat of me brow seeds in grow your own!

Toms not too bad, sweetcorn non-existent, sweetpeas ditto, I am trying again and following your tips.
Thanks EM

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now