Talk

Advanced search

Patio Heaters / Chimineas - any good?

(15 Posts)
Milliways Fri 29-Apr-05 22:36:41

Just been on patio with a glass of wine - had to come in when it got cold & we got to disussing patio heaters. Our friends have a Chiminea which they double as a BBQ & kids thought it was fun. I think they have more character than electric heaters. However, we get conficting reports on upkeep. Some say wax them, bring in in cold weather, others say leave them out all year?

If you have either, could you comment on their usefulness/effectiveness. Any recommendations gratefully received.

Thanks

Gomez Fri 29-Apr-05 22:38:25

Did have a Chiminea, great thing left it out all winter now got a great big bloody crack in!

CatAttack Fri 29-Apr-05 22:40:47

Is that a terracotta/clay one, Gomez? I'm tempted to get a cast iron one. Would also like to hear peoples' opinions - how good are they for cooking? Our BBQ rusted to death and we haven't replaced it.

Gomez Fri 29-Apr-05 22:42:50

It was clay, is now recycled. Was fairly expensive version too. New calor gas patio heater this year.

Milliways Fri 29-Apr-05 22:47:07

We nearly bought one of these at the Newbury show last year, but was worried about cracking. Saw some more recently, also clay, and the lady said they wouyldn't crack.

Sorry to hear about yours breaking Gomez. We have brick BBQ's, but looking forward to any more comments from anyone else.

emmatom Fri 29-Apr-05 22:55:50

We've got a huge terracota one, cost about 150 smackers.

Used it once, can't get much on it to bar b q and if it's cold outside, tend more to come in, or put coat on.

Will be selling on E-bay shortly. P&P is gonna be some.

sallystrawberry Fri 29-Apr-05 23:00:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CatAttack Fri 29-Apr-05 23:01:59

Yeah but a garden gnome looks nice and you can't cook on it and it doesn't give out much heat - and it's a damn sight cheaper than a chimenea

sallystrawberry Fri 29-Apr-05 23:02:57

sallystrawberry Fri 29-Apr-05 23:06:10

hub2dee Fri 29-Apr-05 23:20:05

There was another patio heater thread a week or two ago had some input...

snailspace Sat 30-Apr-05 00:03:29

Message withdrawn

chipmonkey Sat 30-Apr-05 00:41:43

I was at a party last year where they had a calor gas tall patio heater and it was lovely. Enough heat for a table with 20 people, lovely atmosphere!

Milliways Sun 01-May-05 16:04:56

Got a lovely cast-iron one in 10% day in Homebase yesterday - about £90.

Re environmental issues - will only be burning the twigs & sticks from garden that would otherwise get burnt on the big bonfire. Our garden has so many large trees, we have to get rid of the wood somehow (have NEVER had to buy logs for the log fire).

chipmonkey Tue 03-May-05 00:14:36

And I use reusable nappies and compost and recycle and using any kind of patio heater in Ireland where we get nice weather once a year, is not likely to impact hugely on the environment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now