Talk

Advanced search

Our lawn is just awful

(5 Posts)
Hayls Fri 22-Apr-05 17:46:36

Our back garden constantly looks a total mess. It's really patchy and the ground is uneven so the grass is always different lengths. Dh just used weed and feed all over and put fresh soil and grass seed on the really bald patches. That was a week ago and its rained several times since then but it still looks the same.

There's new turf in part of it, which is growing ok, it's just the older bits that are problematic.

Any advice much appreciated.

cod Fri 22-Apr-05 17:50:05

Message withdrawn

Hayls Fri 22-Apr-05 18:05:57

dd is onlly 15 months so doesn't really go on it much (prefers playing on the gravel so she can throw it all in the air) And I hop along the path leaning over when I hang out the washing so I don't step on it either...

hub2dee Fri 22-Apr-05 18:52:21

The seed should take soon. The growth isn't 'instant'. Maybe more water ? Presume the birds aren't eating it all ?

If the ground is uneven it is a question of filling hollows / chopping bumps or removing turf, fixing the soil and relaying / reseeding.

The weed and feed will knock out moss / weeds and can leave it looking quite patchy, so in-fill with fresh grass seed.

HTH

aloha Fri 22-Apr-05 19:13:23

Do you have a sunny garden? If not, then your grass will always be problematic. I'd returf myself - could never get anywhere with seeds - and keep the kids off it for a few weeks to let it settle in. But if you don't have lots of sun you will probably have to returf every couple of years IME.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now