Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Tree Fern (Dicksonia antarctica) - Supplier / Cost Query / Spare ?

(14 Posts)
hub2dee Thu 21-Apr-05 10:58:14

Hi,

I've been contemplating using a 6ft tree fern in my planting plan, which I am finalising for Spring / Summer / dd 2 be !

I've got a path through the garden and I want the visitor to walk under the fronds of one of these (rather over-used and slightly clichéd but incredible plants).

A 6ft one from The Palm Centre in Richmond costs £180 !!!! (Sure it was £120 this time last year )

Has anyone got a contact in the import trade / an alternative supplier / one that's too big etc.

(Would have to be a kosher import - some are harvested illegally and are untagged). Not desparately keen on an anonymous ebayer. And not desparately keen on spending this sort of money TBH.

TIA

PS - Has anyone got one in their garden ? How is it performing (should be just starting to frond up now) ? Do you like its growth habit ? Would you have gone for another tree fern, such as Dicksonia squarrosa). It may be possible because of the slightly erect fronds, to go for, say a five footer whose canopy would arch above the head of an adult walking close by...

KatieMac Thu 21-Apr-05 20:06:45

They have 4ft ones at B&Q - for about £60 - how long do thy take to grow?

hub2dee Thu 21-Apr-05 20:10:41

Hi KatieMac, I think the official line is 1 inch per year.

But thank you for telling me about this. I'll go check 'em out tomorrow. That's a good price for the size.

hub2dee Thu 21-Apr-05 20:17:39

They're on the B&Q Web site !!!

Here's a piccy of the different sizes.

These ones look like the fronds come out and such steep angles that a four foot one might do the trick !!!!

And they've had a 'price reverse' from £100 to £60

And the local store closes at 9 tonight !!!

But dw wants to stay in and watch Vera Drake on video with a friend of hers who's here.

So, do I leg it or play the dutiful dh ?

KatieMac Thu 21-Apr-05 20:20:20

I'd go shopping - but then I am female

Are you any good with word/advertising btw?

KatieMac Thu 21-Apr-05 20:21:06

PS link doesn't work

KatieMac Thu 21-Apr-05 20:21:28

Sorry it does now

hub2dee Thu 21-Apr-05 20:24:52

Hi KatieMac,

Used my MALE brain to PHONE the store and they don't have stock yet. It's a special order item. I reckon if I wait another week or so I might be a very happy chappy !

So I'm happy and dw is happy !

Yeah, I'm OK with Word. Haven't written macros for a long time, but I know it pretty well. Advertising: I can write good copy, but what's the nature of your problem ?

(Might not be able to answer promptly as must go watch video).

BTW - Thanks again for the suggestion. Did you see them at your local store or were you clicking around on their Website ?

KatieMac Thu 21-Apr-05 20:27:22

Local Store....in the stix & WE have them in stock

In the childminders bit I'm struggling with a name and you seem to think laterally (or is it backwards?)
It's been a long argument and I kind of want to please everyone iyswim

hub2dee Thu 21-Apr-05 20:35:12

Yeah, I saw the walnut corner thingy, and honestly couldn't figure out what the thread was about, and the issues with accomodating different interests (school / you / governors etc.)...

If you could state what type of business you run (describe size / place / time / kids) in as few words as humanly possible, and tell me what you want to project (in as few words as possible), I will think laterally / backwards and even a little bit sideways to see if I can assist.

If you could also post a link to your thread, I will review the contents when I've got a grasp of what you're battling with and post anything useful.

PS - ref: "in as few words as possible" I'm not implying you waffle, just trying to get you to focus on the 'essence' of what you do IYSWIM.

PPS - Very you have access to the ferns. BTW I presume they are being sold as bare trunks at the moment or did they have lots of long fronds / leaves ? (If they did, would you guess you could walk under a four footer or would it be too tiddly with the fronds coming out ?)

KatieMac Thu 21-Apr-05 20:38:32

They were on a platform so you could walk under them....but not sure how high platform was....I think you'd be OK if you were 5 ft 6"

I'll bump thread with extra info & I know what you mean - I DO waffle

hub2dee Thu 21-Apr-05 20:40:48

You know I'm 6' 2" with dark hair and an Italian accent.

PS - hadn't noticed you waffle but will no particularly search for your verbose antics.

KatieMac Thu 21-Apr-05 21:40:03

BTW could you raise your tree fern a bit - in a pot or raised bed?

That would give you some height

hub2dee Thu 21-Apr-05 22:17:56

Yep. Dw's friend also mentioned this idea. I have an unused chimney pot and will try and stick it in there perhaps !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now