Talk

Advanced search

My garden is turning into a river - advice please!

(4 Posts)
rubyloo Wed 13-Apr-05 01:03:03

Wondering if anyone has any ideas for me?. There is obviously a stream running through my garden that wan't apparent last year but this year has resulted in water logged grass that shows no sign of drying up. We are wondering about raisng the levels of the garden (neighbours appear to be slightly higher and less soggy) and would welcome ideas about this. In the meantime the wet swamp is a no go area for the kids!
Thanks

BadgerBadger Wed 13-Apr-05 01:31:40

Oooh, is it due to a natural spring? If I had one I'd bore down, get the water tested, construct a well and live happily and healthily ever after.

Not much help really, but I don't know what I'd do about it in gardening terms, sorry.

SaintGeorge Wed 13-Apr-05 01:40:51

Is it a stream or is the natural water table just very high?

We have this problem, combined with soil high in clay. For three seasons of the year it is a water logged swamp. When (if!) the sun warms it up enough in summer then any exposed areas dry up and crack.

If you do decide to raise the soil level, you need to know what is causing the problem to ensure you take the proper steps to stop it sinking back into a swamp in the future.

hub2dee Wed 13-Apr-05 14:23:10

Creation of a run-off drain / ditch ?

Installation of a soak away.

Improvement of soil.

Try Paving Expert.com and search for land drainage.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: