Talk

Advanced search

Wandering Dew/Jew - anybody got one?

(6 Posts)
swiperfox Sat 09-Apr-05 19:32:48

We bought one today thinking it would grow into a tall plant but just looked it up and it says it grows along the ground or trails from a basket - any ideas?

tiddlypom Sat 09-Apr-05 19:44:09

I think Wandering Jew may be a nickname applied to more than one plant. I know it as a houseplant, Tradescantia, which often has variegated leaves, and is trailing. It's very common and easy to propagate by breaking bits off. If yours isn't obviously trailing, you might have something else.

macwoozy Sat 09-Apr-05 19:47:29

I've propagated my plant from only a few stems, I just placed it in water. Although I do have a few problems with this plant, it is very very thirsty, and the leaves turn brown easily. Mine trails at around 3 ft.

swiperfox Sat 09-Apr-05 19:53:24

At the moment its only little - about 5" tall and pointing upwards with leaves growing from the middle. The leaves are rabbit ear shaped and very purple underneath. The guy in the shop said it's from the wandering jew family and one of the customers said its a trandescantia - all of which mean nothing to me!!!

macwoozy Sat 09-Apr-05 19:56:25

Yep, sounds like mine, tradescantia and wandering jew is the same plant, just different names.

swiperfox Sat 09-Apr-05 19:58:24

Thank you

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: