Talk

Advanced search

I want to plant snowdrops now - can anyone recommend a good website to supply them?

(11 Posts)
TuttiFrutti Tue 27-Jan-09 18:23:25

I've heard you are better off planting snowdrops "in the green", as fully grown plants rather than bulbs. So I should be planting them now while they're in flower.

Does anyone know a good supplier?

PuzzleRocks Tue 27-Jan-09 19:56:49

Bumping for you.

ByThePowerOfGreyskull Tue 27-Jan-09 19:58:04

Dh bought us a huge box of them a couple of years ago - he is at work at the mo but when he comes in I will ask him for you..

they have been fantastic - having had years of planting bulbs with no luck.

Back later

Lizzylou Tue 27-Jan-09 20:01:09

Crocus are fab, bit more pricey but great products and range.

Lizzylou Tue 27-Jan-09 20:01:41

www.crocus.co.uk
Realised you may think I mean crocus bulbs grin

peggotty Tue 27-Jan-09 20:02:34

iirc it's best to plant them after they've stopped flowering but still have the green leaves. Not totally sure but someone else will know!

ByThePowerOfGreyskull Tue 27-Jan-09 21:15:36

Dh is home this was the company

TuttiFrutti Thu 29-Jan-09 17:11:34

What a brilliant website ByThePower, I will definitely place an order with them.

Thanks for all your suggestions - I have heard something similar Peggotty, will maybe wait till they stop flowering to plant. Although I may not be able to stop myself, I so want snowdrops in my front garden right now!

cremolaismydarling Thu 29-Jan-09 17:14:50

here is good

bluesky Wed 04-Feb-09 09:04:22

I've ordered mine from Crocus, they don't send them out until after they have flowered, plant them asap, let them die away, and fingers crossed next year they will flower and look lovely.

So unfortunately you won't have them this year, but get organised for next year!

LGoodLife Wed 25-Feb-09 11:07:56

Plant them in clumps of at least 5, they don't like being separate from their friends. If you want them to seed, get single flowered ones - doubles propagate by spitting, once the clump is big enough.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now