Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

More crappy lawns, and also DIY advice

(12 Posts)
SenoraPostrophe Mon 28-Mar-05 21:16:23

need advice on my laen, but the drainage advice and Greenthumb recommendations on the other threads don't help.

My lawn is very patchy - dead bits, moss, weeds. new grass is growing though and I have about 3 weeks left of spring to get it as nice as poss (really dry in summer, so it'll probably die, but I thought if i can get it nice-ish I'll feel more inclined to water it).

The thing is I am eveangelical about herbicides/fertilizers etc. Is there a non-chemical thing i can do to help it? Can I dress it with organic compost, for example (which will presumably help hold in moisture come summer)?

Also DIY Q (new house!) - do you think I can glue one of those steel kitchen organiser thingies to a tiled wall with silicon or something? If so can i then remove it? (rented house: don't want to dril holes in the tiles)

misdee Mon 28-Mar-05 21:17:54

re DIY question, i dont think so lol. it would be too heavey for the glue.

SenoraPostrophe Mon 28-Mar-05 21:21:29

they glue mirrors and stuff all the time on changing rooms. Course they don't show you the bit where it falls down afterwards. I was thinking of "no more nails" type stuff. Which presumably has its own removal thingy (no more no more nails) or something.

SoupDragon Mon 28-Mar-05 21:31:30

I suspect that anything strong enough to hold it up would not be easy to remove!

crunchie Tue 29-Mar-05 11:35:42

No more nails is glue, and doesn't come off.

SenoraPostrophe Tue 29-Mar-05 13:41:24

is there not a solvent for it?

and does anyone have any bright ideas for the lawn before I just chuck some compost about?

pixie54 Tue 29-Mar-05 13:51:41

rake and then spike the lawn all over (about 3" deep)with a garden fork before putting some light compost down.
sprinkle seed on and keep off it and keep the lawn moist.

SenoraPostrophe Tue 29-Mar-05 23:02:39

bump to catch hub2dee's attention: you're good at this stuff aren't you?

SenoraPostrophe Tue 29-Mar-05 23:03:24

ps have bought normal lawn fertilizer. I can't find any organic, and have only a couple of weeks left. will make some next year.

hub2dee Thu 31-Mar-05 22:02:04

Hi Senora, late to the party...

I presume the kitchen bitsy holder is for beside the BBQ ?

Maybe you could put all the bits into a pot instead ? (not the answer you wanted, I know). Does the BBQ have any metal nearby ? Perhaps some kind of magnetic retainer might work.

Don't think a magic glue will do the trick, TBH.

Lawn sounds a bit nasty.

One thing you could try is to mix in grass seed with the fertiliser granules when you sprinkle them. You'll feed the lawn and set new blades growing.

There are also 'feed and weed' type lawn fertilisers - maybe not your cup of chemcial chai - but they will kill moss and feed at the same time. Again, you could add some grass seed....

HTH

SenoraPostrophe Thu 31-Mar-05 22:18:28

thanks h2d

but drat - dh wasn't convinced about my glue/kitchen organiser idea (which is for the kitchen, not the garden - just thought the topics were kinda related). I'll have to ask the landlady if we can put holes in the tiles. sigh. must remember to count the "out of reach" cupboards before we move next time.

hub2dee Thu 31-Mar-05 22:26:05

SP: could you screw into the underside of the cupboards on the wall ?

Problem solved ! ????

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now