Talk

Advanced search

What's your garden like?

(8 Posts)
Posey Mon 28-Mar-05 20:58:44

We live in a small block of flats and have our own balcony which has pots etc and a sand pit. We have a communal garden which is all grass which is about 70m by 70m. Its fantastic for the kids and well and truly hidden. No-one ever realises its there. So we have a "park" for the kids to play in and our own little oasis of colour. Not bad for the middle of a city.

So what, if any, sort of garden do you have?

Hulababy Mon 28-Mar-05 21:01:25

We live in a city apartment too. We have a private balcony - but nothing on it other than a chair for each of us (3 of us) and DD's little plastic rocking horse. We also have a larger wooden terrace, for our floor - all decked. DD uses this for her trike, etc. And then our block has a roof garden too, with decking, gravel, grass and planting. We have summer picnics and play ball down there.

When we move (2 weeks?????) we will have our own garden again. It is only small, but very private and south facing

tillykins Mon 28-Mar-05 21:03:24

Full of weeds at the moment... Need to get out there and get sorted

maisystar Mon 28-Mar-05 21:06:16

a small one! about 4m x 8m at a guess, but 1/6 is taken up by the offshot kitchen. at the mo it is mostly mud which ds likes but i am not so keen on! have been trying to decide what to do and think we are going to take the path up and patio it.

it is big enough for ds to play in his sandpit, car etc but def not big enough for ball games but we have a lovely park nearby.

next door have a similar sized garden and ds and next doors dd can play together in either garden

morningpaper Mon 28-Mar-05 21:07:47

We moved to the westcountry from London so we could have a garden and 3-bed semi in exchange for our teeny flat.

Our garden is about 100ft by 40ft - nice and BIG! It's VERY informal ... I battle weeds a lot! I've put in decking, a shed, a wooden playhouse-shed type thing for dd, and a BIG BIG TRAMPOLINE! There are trees which break up the garden so all this stuff sort of blends in.

At least that's what I tell myself!

Having an outside space is the BEST THING IN THE WORLD to me.

snafu Mon 28-Mar-05 21:15:38

A total mess. Hasn't been properly looked after for a good couple of years, so everything is dead, dying and overgrown. However, it is big (previous owners had a tennis court at the bottom of it) and I love it, especially now the weather's warmer and ds can run about to his heart's content. If anyone wants to come and tidy it up, they'd be very welcome

Bozza Mon 28-Mar-05 21:22:03

its 10 m by 13 m but I'm never sure which dimension is which because it has a slope which affects the perspective. Approx 1/3 is patio with a pergola out from the patio doors. This is the main play area. Then there is a retaining wall made out of decking and two large borders (one at each side of central step up onto lawn). I have an idea in my mind about how these borders should look (tropical type plants with lots of hot colours and spikes, lots of phormiums) but its still a work in progress. Then there is lawn and a border at the top. The top border is mainly trees/shrubs. We are considering putting borders in at the sided of the lawn.

Due to DD being born last May it has been somewhat neglected.

suedonim Tue 29-Mar-05 14:25:46

Ours is about 60x60ft with two small terraces as it's on a sloping site. We have uninterrupted views over a river and the Scottish mountains. The garden is pretty boring, with grass and a tree in each corner. There are a couple of square beds along the side of the house in which I planted stuff last year but as soon as I'd done it I realised it was a mistake as you can't see it from the house. D'oh!! Planning a design is a bit difficult because our house is unusual in that the split-level means the living rooms are upstairs so we look down on the garden rather than across it, iyswim.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now