Talk

Advanced search

Lavenderrr and all you Gardening experts out there....................advice needed please.

(9 Posts)
emmatmg Sat 26-Mar-05 19:36:23

Every part of our garden look a lovely but the grass is tatty and bald in places. I really want a thick lush green bouncy carpet of grass this year but haven't a clue what else I can do.

I spent 2 hours today racking and jabbing the garden fork into our tatty lawn then sprinkled it with grass seed, lots of it infact.

What I'd like to know is is there anything else I can/should do to improve it?

Every other part of the garden look a lovely but the grass is tatty and bald in places. I really want a thick lush green bouncy carpet of grass this year but haven't a clue what else I can do.

tortoiseshell Sat 26-Mar-05 19:38:36

Sounds drastic, but you could returf it. If you don't want to do that, give it a really good feed in a few weeks time - you want to feed it during the growing season, probably twice. Also scarify it with a springy rake to get rid of any moss.

NomDePlume Sat 26-Mar-05 19:42:58

i like that evergreen weed & feed stuff, really helps to green up our lawn.

Need to reseed my front and back - thanks for the reminder

emmatmg Sat 26-Mar-05 19:51:57

It was only turfed a few years ago, when we moved in so don't really want to do that again.

There isn't really any moss in it, certainly didn't rack any up. The bald patches are because we've halved the grass area so that the Ds's have a play area at the back with bark chippings. DH did it in the rain so it got really muddy out there and so the grass just got trampled in with all the mud.

Looks bloody awful.

vkr Sat 26-Mar-05 19:54:05

what is wrong with moss ? our lawn is made up of it. - doesn't need mowing very often and small children bounce when they fall on it - plus it is green all year round

piffle Sat 26-Mar-05 19:56:28

www.greenthumb.co.uk
truly

piffle Sat 26-Mar-05 19:57:04

and never ever have a dog....

emmatmg Sat 26-Mar-05 20:02:35

We've got a dog piffle (LOL at "bitch burn" on your site)but she does her stuff at the end of the garden on the bark chippings. Before we changed it the grass was 1000 times worse though.

Bitch burn....ha ha ha ha

hatsoff Mon 28-Mar-05 19:26:03

rake it (as you say), aerate it, put sharp sand in the holes, weed it, mow it on the highest setting, feed it and hope. If any of your patches are at the edge you can turn them round, to give you a nice new edge

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: