Talk

Advanced search

Apple Tree

(14 Posts)
flamesparrow Mon 14-Mar-05 15:43:17

I;ve only been in my house since last summer, and this is my first tree... when can I expect it to start coming back to life?

xxxx

franke Mon 14-Mar-05 15:53:20

Along with everything else in the Spring. We had a small apple tree in our last garden which had gorgeous bloosom the first summer we were there, but only about 3 very insipid apples. So that winter dh did a bit of a prune whilst I supervised (there would have been nothing left otherwise). The following year we had more apples than you could shake a stick at and they were yummy too.

flamesparrow Mon 14-Mar-05 16:06:32

Ours are the big maggoty type

nnosam Mon 14-Mar-05 16:08:21

on the subject of apple trees..we went and brough an apple tree this weekend just gone, does anyone know if i will get apples this year?

nnosam Mon 14-Mar-05 16:08:49

p.s. sorry to highjack your thread flamesparrow..

Frizbe Mon 14-Mar-05 16:27:36

Sounds like cooking apples to me! lots of pies n crumbles for you then! It should start perking up soon, what with the weather getting warmer, see what it does this year, then prune like franke says to get it going better next year.
Not sure if you'll get much this year in the way of apples with a new tree nnosam, but they usually kick in fairly quickly in tree terms, so probably a lot more next year when it gets established. PS: I'm not an expert, and there are a few on here, so they'll have better answers!

nnosam Mon 14-Mar-05 18:41:49

thanks frizbe

flamesparrow Mon 14-Mar-05 18:48:41

Oooh a nice apple pie sounds good!!

hub2dee Wed 23-Mar-05 22:47:29

Make it look more fun throughout the year with a climber: clematis / rose etc.

WigWamBam Wed 23-Mar-05 22:51:09

We have a scented jasmine scrambling through our old apple tree, looks and smells divine.

hub2dee Wed 23-Mar-05 23:14:16

WWB, can you remember smelling Clem. armandii ? (evergreen, flowering now)

Had a sniff today. Can't quite figure out if I feel it's lovely or foul

Have you ever grown rosa banksiae lutea by any chance ?

WigWamBam Thu 24-Mar-05 08:29:58

Is rosa banksiae lutea the thornless one with the small yellow double flowers and the peeling bark? I haven't grown it - I'm a snob and I only like scented roses (I know - heathen).

I can't remember ever finding a clematis with a scent I really liked!

flamesparrow Thu 24-Mar-05 08:54:51

That was my next question.... Can I trail honeysuckle up it???

hub2dee Thu 24-Mar-05 09:44:12

Yepo, honeysuckle no prob. You can even find an evergreen if you feel you need the extra clothing over winter.

WWB: Spot on. But I think it is scented. See here

I wanted it because it is (a) fast and rampant (b) thornless and (c) yellow (we've got a yellow door) and (d) scented. Sounds Magic. It's only being dispatched after all risk of frost has gone - apparently it is tender in the first year.

Find the Clem. A that I mentioned - garden centre if needed - incredibly strong scent up close but doesn't seem to 'carry' v. well.

PS - Same as you on the scent, but did go with a scentless weeping standard as wouldn't be able to get to it to sniff !

Ordered some Gloire de Dijon climbers too.

Love flowers. Love Spring. Hate Winter. Can't wait for the season of a thousand BBQs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now