Talk

Advanced search

How do you grow sweet potatoes??

(12 Posts)
KatieMac Sat 12-Mar-05 20:21:16

Well title says it all - said instructions would come with the S/P ....but they didn't

lavenderrr Sat 12-Mar-05 20:27:58

have you got a packet of seeds or baby ones there?

Furball Sat 12-Mar-05 20:29:13

this any use?

KatieMac Sat 12-Mar-05 21:43:51

Lavenderr - I don't know yet my gardener is bringing them on Monday/Tuesday....but SP are a bit rare in rural Norfolk.....

Furball - that's a great link thanks.

miggy Sat 12-Mar-05 21:46:26

I may be wrong but have hazy memory of seeing a variety of new sweet potato that you could grow in UK in seed catalogue-thus implying that generally you couldnt.
You are in Scotland arent you? might be bit nippy for them
May be talking rubbish-will check!

miggy Sat 12-Mar-05 21:49:56

This seems to imply need greenhouse
bit strange but scroll down

KatieMac Sat 12-Mar-05 21:51:52

nope...norfolk

and it is a version to grow in the UK

KatieMac Sat 12-Mar-05 21:53:24

Thanks for the link - aparently ones bought to eat have been sprayed with a growth inhibitor - otherwise they grow straight away

merglemergle Sun 13-Mar-05 08:47:23

Just a thought-organic ones wouldn't be sprayed with growth inhibitors, would they? I'm pretty sure thats not allowed for stuff sold as organic.

Might try this.

miggy Sun 13-Mar-05 18:05:04

theres an article in todays gardening section of the times-will dig it out later. Looks quite complicated!
Sorry for relocating you

miggy Sun 13-Mar-05 18:06:39

here......
Sweet potatoes require a warm, sheltered garden if they are to be grown outdoors in this country. Choose a sunny spot with a fertile, well-drained soil and then cover the area in April with black polythene — this will help to warm the ground and eliminate future weed growth.

In May, pot up “slips” (rooted cuttings) of a suitable variety, such as ‘Beauregard’, into 3in containers and keep them on a well-lit windowsill. In early June, these should be planted 12in apart through small holes cut into the polythene. Keep the plants well watered and give them a liquid feed every fortnight. The roots should be lifted in mid-autumn and stored in a warm spot indoors. Slips are available from Thompson & Morgan (01473 695 225, www.thompson-morgan.com ).

KatieMac Sun 13-Mar-05 18:50:09

Miggy - you're a genius

Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now