Talk

Advanced search

Help with a gardening gift please!

(9 Posts)
evansmummy Sun 26-Oct-08 21:07:16

My mum has just moved house and in her new place has been 'allotted' a space where she would like to creat a rose garden. I'd like to buy her the necessary tools for it for Xmas but I've no idea what she may need. Can anyone give me a list of useful things for creating a rose garden? Thank you!

harpomarx Sun 26-Oct-08 21:09:30

obvious maybe - but I would buy her a beautiful rose tree (plant? am not sure of the correct terminology!). My mum was given a rose tree when I was born and still has it 30+ years later.

You can probably even get roses named after her.

VeniVidiVickiQV Sun 26-Oct-08 21:10:43

Secateurs and good, thorn-proof gloves!

spicemonster Sun 26-Oct-08 21:21:36

Felco are the very best secateurs in the world and cost 25 quid or so. I don't know how much you want to spend but you could get also get her a rose as harpo suggests. If you go to the David Austin website you could get her something appropriate

Pannacotta Sun 26-Oct-08 21:27:21

Agree with secateurs and gloves, plus how about a voucher for Peter Beales or David Austin, the best rose suppliers? (Both on line too.)

evansmummy Sun 26-Oct-08 21:27:51

She's moved to france and apparently you aren't allowed to take plants over the border.

So she'd only need secateurs and gloves? No digging stuff?

I sound as clueless as I actually am when it comes to anything out of doors grin

bettythebuilder Sun 26-Oct-08 21:50:45

I find trugs www.crocus.co.uk/product/_/tools/garden-tidy/original-flexi-trug/classid.2000003617/really useful- can shift compost around in them, collect dead-headed roses, etc etc.
Might sound a bit dull, but you could use it as the 'basket' part of a gardeners gift basket if you wrap it in paper, and fill it with other gardening goodies- secateurs, gloves, an apron, kneeler pad, some gardeners handcream, etc etc.

If she's starting from scratch she'll need some digging equipment, like a spade.

evansmummy Sun 26-Oct-08 22:01:47

Now that trug is a great idea for putting it all in. Will def get one of those.

I think I've decided on the following, let me know if i've missed out essentials:

gloves, kneeler, secateurs, hand fork, trowel, apron, hand cream

Ok?

bettythebuilder Sun 26-Oct-08 22:19:00

sounds perfect- I'd be happy with that lot!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now