Talk

Advanced search

Help with a gardening gift please!

(9 Posts)
evansmummy Sun 26-Oct-08 21:07:16

My mum has just moved house and in her new place has been 'allotted' a space where she would like to creat a rose garden. I'd like to buy her the necessary tools for it for Xmas but I've no idea what she may need. Can anyone give me a list of useful things for creating a rose garden? Thank you!

harpomarx Sun 26-Oct-08 21:09:30

obvious maybe - but I would buy her a beautiful rose tree (plant? am not sure of the correct terminology!). My mum was given a rose tree when I was born and still has it 30+ years later.

You can probably even get roses named after her.

VeniVidiVickiQV Sun 26-Oct-08 21:10:43

Secateurs and good, thorn-proof gloves!

spicemonster Sun 26-Oct-08 21:21:36

Felco are the very best secateurs in the world and cost 25 quid or so. I don't know how much you want to spend but you could get also get her a rose as harpo suggests. If you go to the David Austin website you could get her something appropriate

Pannacotta Sun 26-Oct-08 21:27:21

Agree with secateurs and gloves, plus how about a voucher for Peter Beales or David Austin, the best rose suppliers? (Both on line too.)

evansmummy Sun 26-Oct-08 21:27:51

She's moved to france and apparently you aren't allowed to take plants over the border.

So she'd only need secateurs and gloves? No digging stuff?

I sound as clueless as I actually am when it comes to anything out of doors grin

bettythebuilder Sun 26-Oct-08 21:50:45

I find trugs www.crocus.co.uk/product/_/tools/garden-tidy/original-flexi-trug/classid.2000003617/really useful- can shift compost around in them, collect dead-headed roses, etc etc.
Might sound a bit dull, but you could use it as the 'basket' part of a gardeners gift basket if you wrap it in paper, and fill it with other gardening goodies- secateurs, gloves, an apron, kneeler pad, some gardeners handcream, etc etc.

If she's starting from scratch she'll need some digging equipment, like a spade.

evansmummy Sun 26-Oct-08 22:01:47

Now that trug is a great idea for putting it all in. Will def get one of those.

I think I've decided on the following, let me know if i've missed out essentials:

gloves, kneeler, secateurs, hand fork, trowel, apron, hand cream

Ok?

bettythebuilder Sun 26-Oct-08 22:19:00

sounds perfect- I'd be happy with that lot!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: