Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Peonies - are you supposed to cut back the dead leaves now?

(9 Posts)
Flum Tue 21-Oct-08 17:00:31

Just that really. I understand you are supposed to let them die back but now garden full of dead peony leaves and looks yuk, how long do you have to leave them until?

MadBadandWieldingAnAxe Tue 21-Oct-08 21:40:53

I tend to leave them until the spring, as they provide a bit of protection against winter frost.

sophy Wed 22-Oct-08 12:19:16

My gardener has cut ours back. I assume he knows what he's doing!

jvs Wed 22-Oct-08 12:22:32

I cut mine back when they get brown and 'snappy'... if that makes sense...... they grow back every year so does not seem to be doing them any harm. Probably is not the right way of doing it though hmm

Flum Wed 22-Oct-08 23:37:10

Mmmmmm still not sure what to do then. OUrs were beeeooootiful this year so want to ensure they keep their erm strength

LackaDAISYcal Wed 22-Oct-08 23:42:14

I've never cut ours back; just let them die off and they come back lovely every year. I assume they are like bulbs in that the foliage is needed to put strength back into the corms?

LackaDAISYcal Wed 22-Oct-08 23:44:05

or maybe not!

some advice here

fortyplus Wed 22-Oct-08 23:59:35

They don't much care whether you cut the dead leaves off or not - what they really like is a good thick mulch of compost or well-rotted manure in early spring.

Flum Thu 23-Oct-08 00:11:16

Mmmm thanks LackaDC and 40+

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now