Talk

Advanced search

So what are you planting now and where?

(11 Posts)
sweetgrapes Tue 21-Oct-08 10:18:56

Have got my gardening gloves out and am thinking of some indoor and outdoor planting. Fruit and veg... all ideas welcome!! (Dunno how ambitious I will get!!)

Also, sweet peas on a sunny window ledge? Will it work or does it have to be in a greenhouse?

sweetgrapes Tue 21-Oct-08 10:24:18

South of london btw.

South enough to have a garden bigger than a pocket handkerchief but NOT south enough to be in Surrey or Kent...

Ozziegirly Wed 22-Oct-08 02:32:05

Ok, I've got in 3 types of tomato (plum, cherry and beefsteak), cucumber, 2 types of beans, capsicum, basil, jalapeno chilli, garlic, few other herbs and snow peas. On the flower front I have lillies, peonies, lavender, plus a lime, mandarin and lemon tree.

I'm in Sydney though so coming into summer. Not that you would think it today - we have non stop drizzle!

SuperBunny Wed 22-Oct-08 03:06:06

I have lettuce and spinach growing well at the moment but I'm in the US - probably similar weather to the UK at the moment

sophy Wed 22-Oct-08 12:21:34

Good time to plant broad beans now for an earlier crop in Summer.

I've always managed to grow sweet peas in a windowsill too.

jvs Wed 22-Oct-08 12:24:49

Have always managed to get our sweet peas to grow on the window ledge...... and in a cold room as well.

missingtheaction Thu 23-Oct-08 20:11:22

sweet peas for next year in cold frame in the garden; lots of seeds of perennials coming up in the greenhouse, alongside some cuttings of various bits and pieces like penstemons. am about to send off for rhubarb and raspberries and a redcurrant.

sweetgrapes Sat 25-Oct-08 18:42:16

Thanks a lot everyone.

My pc crashed and I was without mn for a few days [horror]
Just back online again today.

trefusis Sat 25-Oct-08 18:43:43

Message withdrawn

snorkle Sat 25-Oct-08 20:08:52

BRoad beans - use variety Aqudulcae should crop June-Jul (I think)

Winter Peas (eg. Early Onward) - for an April crop - planting now prevents getting ?pea weavils.

Garlic

Onion sets - there is one variety (radar) that you can plant in October to give an earlier crop than the spring planted ones. I believe you can start eating them in late May and harvest in late Jun/July.

I'm planting all these on my new allotment this week smile, but I've not grown them (at least not these varieties at this time of year) before.

redclover79 Sat 25-Oct-08 20:32:49

I've just put in onions (sets) and garlic to overwinter. Am hopefully putting in aquadulce broad beans and a few peas this weekend. Hopefully going to find space for an asparagus bed this weekend too...
Oh, and green manures on next years' brassica and potato beds.
I've also got some snakes head frittilary bulbs if I find the time!
Corn salad for winter greens which is going in the greenhouse.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now