Talk

Advanced search

can you recommend a hedge?

(8 Posts)
swallowsandamazons Tue 07-Oct-08 19:46:17

We would love a small hedge in the front garden, not so slow growing that i will be 90 before its formed, but we do want to keep it low, what do you have, can you recommend?

Littlefish Tue 07-Oct-08 19:48:01

Whatever you do, don't put in a box hedge! Somehow, dh and I managed to confuse box and privet and have ended up with the slowest growing hedge in the world!

I would recommend beech however - it is easy to keep in check, but fills out quickly to create a solid hedge quite quickly.

southeastastra Tue 07-Oct-08 19:49:15

i have a golden privet but that probably sounds dull grin they're pretty though and fast growing

GentleOtter Tue 07-Oct-08 19:51:13

Berberis is not too bad and really jaggy to keep people off it.

DeJaVous Tue 07-Oct-08 19:51:32

Yew?

TBH Privet is a star, that's what we ended deciding to use. We want to keep it to about 120cm.

swallowsandamazons Tue 07-Oct-08 19:52:57

great that gives me something to start with, i will google privet.

GentleOtter Tue 07-Oct-08 19:53:46

Some places offer mature hedges at any height you want. It is sometimes worth the extra expense for instant height.

Pannacotta Mon 13-Oct-08 20:51:52

I prefer Yew to Privet, Privet needs clipping several times a year and the flowers smell bad. Yes is smarter IMO, great for wildlife too.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: